Windows Vista Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
EricB said:
now this is hypothetical thinking, but if the computer thinks that it is booting into safe mode everytime, there wouldn't be any need to activate so that they can check
That is correct. But that is only if you use the "special" tool to do so. Also this "tool" only works for Beta 1 Build 5112. Build 5219 and Build 5231 are both different with activation. In all truth all 3 builds have different activation. There has only been 1 "tool" discovered to stop activation. with build 5112. For 5219 and 5231 the "tool" doesnt work correctly so it will still try to activate.

Mak I've formatted and re used my key on the same hardware 8 times if not more and never had a problem. What keys are affected by the 3 times only rule? OEM, Corp, MSDN, Vender (sony, dell, etc)

Okay Tyler and mikee it should technically effect all version of XP. OEM, and Full. Corp is no longer used since like Eric said it was leaked and over 3 million people had it. MSDN only really uses beta OS's not full version. RC, Beta, and the likes. Vender is OEM. If you bought a full copy from the store it should technically onyl allow 3 instales. I do know what you are saying that you have formatted and it never asks. Same here. I have formatted at least a dozen if not more times and have never had that issue. But it is supposted to be there. I installed XP Home on my other computer, full version which i had bought 3 years ago before i got Pro. And i had to call M$ to get a serial to activate it since the hardware config was different than the one i originally activated it with. So if you use the same system i doubt it happens. But if you try it on 3 different systems you will find that after that you have to activate it. At least that is from my experience. Who knows if you guys will come across it.

Mak I am using the full version of XP Pro and I got the serial key for it via MSDN. I also got all the previous windows that are the final/retail version from MSDN along with their serial keys. It is not by any means only Beta OSs.

Well MSDN subscribers have more advantages than i am aware of then. But when you pay that much money for it you better be able to get them. But the other OS's are out of circulation so those dont really matter. XP and 2000 are the only OS's M$ has in circulation right now. ME, 98, and 95 are all out of circulation and no longer supported so those i dont count. Either way this should still apply with the OS's that require activation. 95 and 98 didnt have it as far as i remember.

The OSES that didnt need activating are Windows 95 ,98 ,98se ,ME ,2000 it was only XP that needs activation

AMD I just got confirmation that the TCP8W key is blacklisted. This was one of the oldest and original keys that has been used with Longhorn/Vista. It has been around since build 5048(Longhorn) up thru Vista build 5219. So that could be the reason why your Vista now BSOD. So no offense but your source gave you a bad key. It will allow an install but not activation.

You dont seem to understand. Because of the activation it caused the BSOD. Vista tries to automatically activate upon finish of install. Even if you tell it not to do so it will try to activate after the "Grace" period of 14 days automatically. So yes you were able to use Vista one day then it tried to auto activate and say that it was a blacklisted serial and shut you down. I have seen it happen with Vista (as it happened to me before i got my new serial). I know we have been back and forth with this but just listen to what i am trying to say. IT could be, not saying that it is, that when it tried to auto activate it caused your crash which you are dealing with now. You are still able to run XP correct? Therefor i dont thing it has to do with the NTFS error since XP would have crashed also. I think that M$ caused the NTFS crash on the system by deactivating Vista which in case would cause the NTFS file system error and that would lead to your BSOD before you get to the desktop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom