Athlon XP with 133 Mhz memory

Status
Not open for further replies.
much, lol seriously it all depends

1) are the programs u use memory intensive?
2) how much RAM will you have?
3) can you even use PC133 in the DDR slots?

Yes, if the board has 2 different memory slots, like the ECS K7S5A. It has 2 for DDR and 2 for SDRAM. I would stay away from the SDRAM, you are going to feel the hurt in performance. Memory isn't that expensive, I'd bite the bullet and get a stick of 512 for about $65.

This is when you want to spend the extra few bucks. If you go cheap, don't do it on memory.

dethangel said:
3) can you even use PC133 in the DDR slots?

I have had my boss as my that question 3 times in the last 2 week.

He asks me one more time, I am going to give him an SD RAM and DDR Ram emina so he can remember the difference. :eek: :confused: :amazed:

ekÆsine said:
i think it is impossible to pair a xp2500 with pc100 or pc133 memory.

Depends on the motherboard i find.

I had to do a service job on a computer last year and I stumbled accross that set up.

Why you want to build a computer with that set up in the first place in beyond me.

The only REAL REASON i can see is that the end user spent too much on his SDRAM @ PC133 investment with his last computer, and he is too tight @$$ to upgrade properly.

It's for people who want to spend money slowly, one part at a time. Stay away from those boards, they are bad (I had one once). Just bite the bullet and get the DDR. You only live once.

Actaully, I do feel sorry for those users. Some time it a case of little knowlegde, bad timing and/or little cash.

My sister for example :-

COMPUTER 1. - SLOT P-III Motherboard. They did not last long.

COMPUTER 2. - AMD Athlon 1100 with a motherboard and SDRAM. DDR Ram and compatable got really cheap 4 weeks later. And SDRam motherboard got tough to find.

COMPUTER 3. - Socket 423 Pentium 4 1.7 with RAMBUS memory..... Lets not go there shall we. :confused:

COMPUTER 4. - which she is picking up tomorrow is an AMD Athlon 2400. And this time, I assisted her in making a motherboard purchase so she could max things out, and get a better retunr on her investment before going up to AMD Athlon 64.

I have no complaint's but ill be happier with a 2.8c and 800fsb ddr.My 133 served me well in EQ with 2 acounts per computer.

there are still quite many socket a mofos with 133 memory around and with new bios they can be equipped with newwer athlons (durons would prolly be more reasonable choice). i just havent seen any benchmarks comparing sdr vs ddr with same cpu. id like to see specially some gaming bencmarks.

but ah do not worry, im not going to buy that kinda combo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom