Old Case New Mobo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Compaq Elcrappi

Beta member
If i purchase a new mobo, do i have to purchase a new case.
Im asking becausei have a compaq case and i want a new mobo, but i dont know if the power connections and so on will fit..

The PSU is proprietary, so you would have to replace it. I believe Compaq is one of the few manufacturers who has started soldering their PSUs into the case, so that alone ruins the case. If it's not soldered in, then the mobo will not support a standard ATX family mobo.

Short answer: you need a new case.

it should work if the mobo compatibility is ok...
look at the measurements for them and/or match the type

what were you thinking macdude425 ? hehehehe

you also have to look at were the outside connections go like the ports, more then likely the board in your pc was proprietary, also was the compaq an ATX or AT. I put an ATX type mainboard in a tower for AT type mainbaords. I had to connect the reset switch to the pins of the "power on" on the mainboard. I also had to install an ATX type power supply.

easily under a hundred dollars but you probaly could have figured that out on your own.Anyways if the measurements are right it should work cuase I have a old compaq that Iam on right now and it just has a screwed in mobo.If not you could probaly return it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom