Msconfig & Svchost

Status
Not open for further replies.

KevsMovies

Beta member
Hi All,

I've just installed Win 2000Pro on an AMD Athalon 2000+ machine with 512Mb of RAM, 64Mb Asus Graphics card etc. I've got 2 issues that I'd like help with.

Firstly, if I go to "Run" in the start menu, I don't seem to be able to get MSCONFIG to work, and it just says that the file doesn't exists. Is this common to Win 2K or am I just going about accessing things the wrong way. Everything is set with Administrator rights so that shouldn't be the issue...Any ideas?

Secondly, this is a fresh install on a brand new 40Gb drive, but I am getting an "SVCHOST has generated errors.." message after using the machine for all of 5 minutes. I have run an antivirus (Norton) which has not found anything, but the problem remains, I actually got to the point where I had to reinstall the OS again because it froze halfway through the boot. Is this simply an MS service pack issue as the OS hasn't received any updates yet, or is there something else I may need to do, patches or registry entries etc?

Also, interestingly, there is no "Boot.ini" file anywhere on the machine....surely there should be?

Cheers!

Kev.

if you have not checked the option under folder options to view all files (Hidden) then you won't see the Boot.ini as it is protected.

As to the SVChost thing, what is it doing? does the problem occur after doing something specific? Where at boot did it freeze? Also, could you post the Eventlog for the SVCHOST error?

Good Luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom