Nedd To Back Up Old Windows Nt System To A New System. Need Help And Suggestion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

th

Beta member
DEAR ALL,

I AM TRYING TO BACK UP MY OLD SERVER RUNNING WINDOWS NT TO A BRAND NEW HARD DRIVE AND A NEW SYSTEM BUT STILL RUNNING NT DUE TO THE INVENTORY PROGRAM WHICH NEEDS NT. HOW WOULD I DO THAT? Sorry, just realize it was in all caps. Anyway, I want to do duplicate exact copy of the old hard drive and put it into a newer system. What should I use? How should I do this? Will this cause any conflict because the old operating system might not be compatible with the new system? Please help. Any suggestion will be helpful.

Is the newer drive going to be introduced into a brand new environment or will the new drive live on a PC with similar hardware. The reason why I ask is because NT 4.0 is VERY touchy. You can ghost the drive and place a new image on the new drive. Normally with 2000 or XP you would then just repair the install and install some of you applications again. But the repair utility for 4.0 sucks.

-Mike

The new drive will be in a brand new environment with new chip and all. Also, it will be totally different than the old computer. So, I don't know what will happen to the drive with NT on it when it is transfered to the new computer. Suggestion?

Personally this is what I'd do.

Make sure that the new box is off of the network. Install a fresh copy of NT 4.0 and apply all the service packs, etc. that you need. When you are installing NT, make sure that you are giving it the same IP address and computer name as the older box (which is still running, btw). After all the SPs are installed, install your application on the newer box. Test, test, test. Then once you know that it works correctly, Bring the old computer down and then off of the network. Plug the new one into the network and then bring it up. Now, bring the old computer back up (but off of the network) and change the computer name an IP address so that it doesn't match the new one any longer. Bring the old PC back up on the network and then you can transfer file from the old to the new, etc.

-Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom