mobo problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

strife27

Beta member
my setup:
AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Venice 1GB FSB Socket 939
ASUS A8N-SLI Premium Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI ATX AMD motherboard
CORSAIR VALUESELECT 2x 512MB 184-Pin DDR400 (PC3200)
WD 80GB HD (IDE) Ultra ATA100 7200RPM
MSI GeForce 6600 GT 128MB PCI Express x16
Sound Blaster Audigy 2
Samsung DVD
ASPIRE X-Navigator Case

problem: after i put it all together and turned it on, all the thing does is beep at me. i took the cpu, memory, and gfx card out to do the test the mobo's manual tells me. i can hear the lady saying "no cpu installed" when i dont have the cpu in, and when i put it in it stops and it just beeps at me. with memory/gfx card in or out the thing just beeps. the green standby power light is on. all fans work when i start it, the case glows blue but i see nothin on the screen. i have a lcd screen on the front of my case and it says that the cpu is @ 25 degrees C and the rest of the case is @ 23-25 degrees C.

i dont think i fried it cause i was very careful not too, but is there a way to test it to see if its fried without putting it in another computer, cause every other computer in this house is 5 years old :\ thanx for the help.

IF the Video card is AGP, you could probaby try it in one of your computer, AGP isn't that new so your computers should have AGP slots. Its most likly 1 a bad CPU,2 a Bad motherboard or, 3 a bad video card.

Ok do this, try turning it on with just CPU, use your manual to look up what the beeps mean.

then try turning it on with CPU and RAM, then CPU, RAM and Video card.

Its to bad you don't have another PCI E board that is known to be good, if you did you could find out if video card is the problem right off the bat.

does this mainboard also have an onboard video ? if it does you have to maybe connect to that first then tell the bios you are using the agp slot does the lamp on the monitor go from yellow to green or does it just stay yellow when you turn on the pc.

take a pci vid card out of one of the other pc, if they have one and put it in and see if you get anything on the display. don't worry about drivers for this test

i fixed the problem, i had a bad stick of ram. i finally found out that one long beep is for the ram, and one long two short is for video... which it said no where in the manual i had to go to multiple forums to find that out (thank u very much asus). once i figured out that only one of my sticks of ram worked i plugged in my video card and she booted right up. thanks for the help.

most motherboard manuals dont come with BIOS beep codes anyway, do they? I normally find that info out on postcodemaster.com or in my Upgrading and Repairing PC's book

I don't have a ASUS motherboard but isn't there a chip where you can set it as NORMAL or SLi, and did you check to see if all your button cables were plugged in correctly? And did you check to see if any heaers were misplaced or missing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom