Error - 1606 - Could Not Access...

Status
Not open for further replies.

adit

Beta member
HELP!!!

I have a PC that I have upgraded from win 98 to 2000. I recently got an iPod and I am trying to install it. When I do this is the error that I get

Error 1606-Could not access network location..::|Documents and Settings\All Users\Desktop.

I did check around and see what can be done for this and this is the advice that I got:

"1. Use the Registry Editor to navigate to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders.

2. Double-click the Common Administrative Tools Value Name, a REG_EXPAND_SZ data type, and set the data value to %ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Start Menu\Programs\Administrative Tools.

3. Navigate to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders.

4. Verify that the Common Administrative Tools Value Name, a string data type, is set to the expanded equivalent of %ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Start Menu\Programs\Administrative Tools, normally C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Administrative Tools".

Here is where the problem lies, There is no Common Administrative Tools option in the User Shell Folders??

Also, when I change the registry key (as stated in direction 4) it does not save. When I reboot and go back in it is back to the same data string it was before the change

I am lost and need help.

Any help or suggestions on this would be great...Thanks

It sounds like you need to have administrative rights to add something to everyone's desktop. At the begining of the ITunes installation change 'Install This for All Users' to 'Install This Just for Me'. That should fix your problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom