Can't open JPG files!

Status
Not open for further replies.

pcrobot

In Runtime
Ok... I had The Gimp for Windows installed on my pc, and through the Gimp's option, I had every JPG file open in the Gimp. But, with long load time, I got tired of it, and uninstalled the Gimp. Now, all my JPG files wont open, unless I open them in Paint or PhotoPlus. And their little icons are the MS flag (an unidentified file). How can I set every JPG file to open... say in Serif PhotoPlus or IE? I have 98SE, and when I right click on a JPG file it doesn't give me an "Open with" option.
Thanks a lot!

open up a folder on your machine. Any folder. Then go to tools, folder options. from the option window, go to the file types tab, then in the list of registered file types, click on one you see, and type jpg. that will take you to the jpg extention. if you see a restore button, click it. if not, then click change. That will allow you to select a program to open them with. Then you can click advanced after you have applied your settings and choose a new icon.

Good luck

You have windows 98 ? open up your registry editor and open the key HKEY CLASSES ROOT ^^^^^^DO NOT ENTER OR CHANGE ANYTHING YET ^^^^^^ see if you see .jpeg or .jpg and post what you see this key in the registry is all your file assoc.

Re:

Hello,

...If you can't see the JPG / JPEG extension in the Registered File Types list...then it's been erased. Simply add it by clicking the New button on the right...locate the .JPG extension and link associate it with a program...

...You'll want to do this for the .JPEG extension too.

Re:

...Right,

Go back to the File Types Tab and look in Registered File Types for the filetype TheGIMP20 . . .

. . . If it's there...erase it.

open regedit.
under HKey_Classes_root search for jpeg, jpg, and theGimp20
see what you find.

Re:

Hello,

You could try re-installing GIMP, then chaning the associated file types...before uninstalling it again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom