Huge Annoying Hardware Problem. Need Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

staycleanxxx

Beta member
So i bought a computer package at a show about 8 months ago, and the thing hasn't ever worked right. Here are the Specs...

Gigabyte 7N400 2700+
512 DDR 100 MB RAM
NVIDIA GEFORCE 5200 64MB
120 MAXTOR 7200RPM HD

Here was the problem. The computer would work fine for like 3 days. Then all of a sudden, it would reset. About a day later it would do it again. And then about a day later, it would reset but show the windows loading flash and then reset again and keep doing that. After i heard it could have been a memory problem, i was told to up the voltage before assuming it was bad memory. I did to .1+, and the same thing happened within that week. I uped it to .2+ (the bios setting maximum), And it reset but then the display stopped working. It's a bunch of repeating long beeps, which i think i found out from a website that that is a memory area. So i think i narrowed it down to memory. I called up gigabyte, and they said aslong as it is DDR memory, it should work. We'll....it is.

Here are my thoughts: the memory was crap to begin with. It was just getting by barely, which explains why it would periodically reset. Mind you, when I say "It reset after 3 days..." i mean it reset after being on for three days straight, cuz i don't turn off my computer. So the computer reseting was the memory buckling under the pressure. When i uped the voltage to .2+, it burnt it out.

Just to be sure it wasn't the memory slot, i moved it around. Same deal, long beep, no display. I can't say for sure but im almost positive nothing is loading. PS...the monitor isn't getting a signal because the signal light stays orange.

ANY AND ALL HELP/SUGGESTIONS/COMMENTS would totally be appreciated.

::frank

feel free to AIM me or EMAIL me.

Check your machine's "health" with a hardware monitor (usually provided on a disc with the motherboard, or download it from Gigabyte's web site).

Your system voltage may be seriously fluctuating, and most likely dropping below the minimum set level (check the +5V and +12V ramps). I recommend that the bare minimum of your +5V be around 4.70-4.73 and your +12V minimum to be 11.5-11.8. It could be A) The motherboard's power system circuit has a flaw, but it can also be attributed to using poor quality memory (which can compromise stability), or B) The power supply. Use a quality power supply of at least 350 watts minimum. Check also to make sure that the supply can throughput at least 30 amperes on the +5V rail, and at least 15 on +12V (which you can check by simply looking at the power supply's display label)

Hi.

I had a similar problem with a Gigabyte motherboard.
I switched to an ASUS one and the problem disappeared.
I don't mean ASUS ones are better. Maybe if I changed to another Gigabyte motherboard I would have my problem solved too, but I didn't want to take the risk again.
If I were you I would try every component (CPU, memory modules, etc) in another motherboard.

" I uped it to .2+ (the bios setting maximum), And it reset but then the display stopped working "

Maybe i didn't make this part clear enough, there is no display. To this very day. It is as if nothing loads, and there is no display. And i just hear long, repeatative beeps.

Now...try to help me out :) :)

Are you able to boot and display your Bios ? put your voltages back to default .Run MEMTest at boot up from a floppy

buy new memory. old one's prolly coated with ash. ;)

or you can try it out with someone else's computer. but don't max the voltage this time.

talking about stability. computers consist of many hi-tex parts which are combined together very complex ways (to me at least). sometimes its next to impossible to know what causes what (like sudden crashes). could be so many things. or their combinations. apart from mechanical failures it can be somekinda software **** up. be sure your OS is working properly (it never hurts to re-install) and has all service packs. mobo's drivers should be up to date as well as ur bios. flash it if needed. etc. etc.

LoTeX, dood, stop talking please, you either didnt read what he just said, or you have no clue what he just said, because his PC wont even POST, which means, he cant install his OS, he obviously has a problem with his MOBO or BIOS, or both, if all you can say is

"computers consist of many hi-tex parts which are combined together very complex ways (to me at least). sometimes its next to impossible to know what causes what (like sudden crashes). could be so many things. or their combinations. apart from mechanical failures it can be somekinda software **** up."

dont post on a board where youre trying to help people, if you dont even understand what it is youre trying to troubleshoot, i could diagram the exact path of information in a pc, its not hard, its basic PC repair skills, it is never "impossible" to figure out what is wrong, you just test each piece of hardware until you find the one that doesnt work, hopefully its not your MOBO or Processor, and its just the memory

on to the answer, it is obviously NOT software related, as it doesnt even get past the POST (after POST it begins to load software)

staycleanxxx i say to you, do you have any friends that would be willing gineau pigs? if so, just test each piece (its mroe than likely memory, MOBO, or processor) if you test the memory and processor, and neither work, it is obviously your MOBO (or possibly the video card, as you said that it has no display at all, have you tried a different vid card? or your vid card in another PC?) thats all i can thing of for now,it has to be something in your base hardware, check that first, and get back with us with what youve found

cheers

-DA

staycleanxxx, I never saw this in any of your posts, but have you tried resetting the BIOS? You might be able to get the thing to post again.

For any that are reading this, and don't know how to do that, there are two ways to do this. 1. Remove the little watch-type battery from the motherboard, or 2. remove the jumper that goes across a couple of pins right below the bettery. Also has to be unplugged from AC power.

Yea, I think resetting the BIOS would be the key here. Seems that you have set a config that the system can't handle and in so doing, you can't POST.
You would be good to get some better RAM as well after you get the bios reset.
Is this board shipped with the Dual Bios thing???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom