Windows Crashing when playing games...

Status
Not open for further replies.

gaminlegend38

Solid State Member
Okay, I just finished building my new right about a month ago and now it's starting to screw up pretty badly. Every time when I'm playing any game now, the game either A.) crashes to the desktop or B.) freezes up and I have to reboot the computer completely.

Mobo-MSI K8N Neo4-F
RAM- CORSAIR ValueSelect 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM Dual Channel Kit System Memory - Retail
Video Card-MSI NX6600GT-TD128E Geforce 6600GT 128MB
CPU-Athlon 64 3000+ Venice S939 OC'd to 2.14 Ghz (I know I suck at OC'ing)
OS-Windows XP Home w/ SP 2

Before the computer freezes completely, it usually makes so weird screetching type noise. When it crashes to the desktop, it doesn't give any error messages or anything.

In addition, I'm finding that 1/10 of computer boots either just leave me with the sound of the fans (no picture) but another reboot fixes that.

Is there any way that I can see Windows error log or something of that nature? Has anyone had this problem in the past?

Thanks.

EDIT: I also want to point out that I've ran my computer through virus scanners, spyware scanners, just about everything and the computer seems pretty clean.

Well i have seen that you stated it is OC'ed and that you are not the best at it. Maybe that is your problem. You might have misconfigured the OC and that is causing your problem. Take it back to stock and see if it continues.

could be the overclocking.

but, whenever i had a problem with mine overclocked, the system would just crash, as in reboot. not freeze.

i'd suspect graphics drivers since it's crashing down to the desktop and the system can still run.

it can also be a cheapo PSU. you don't want one that will:
fluctuate (the power output keeps changing)
not give enough power
give too much power

crashing because of a bad PSU is not uncommon

I doubt the overclock is causing the crashes, because all the Venice core CPU's are pretty much the same, except for the clock speeds which they were set to when they came out of the factory. the Venices can usually go up to at least 2.6GHZ before becoming unstable (the early ones could usually get 2.8GHZ) unless you didn't mount the cooler properly. you can check the temperatures to be sure. it shouldn't go above 50 degrees (C)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom