Good OC'ing ram?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is using 4 dimms of 512mb (2gb total) each inferior to 2 dimms of 512mb (1gb total) in terms of latency/speed (both dual channel)?

Thanks, * :D

I would like to know that as well.

I believe it disables the use of dual channel speeds though.

No, using all four slots will run the memory in dual channel, however latency will increase and you'll most likely need to use more vdimm, which will yield lower overclocking potential

In addition, some memory controllers cannot handle all four slots running at specific speeds and will be forced to underclock the memory, which will create a huge bottleneck in your system

Are you sure? With Socket A isn't it only 2 will slots will run dual channel? Hell I only have 3 slots anyways.

I'm talking about AMD64s, specifically the fact that they're 64 bit and can address a maximum of 4GB of memory in 4 DIMM slots

You're basically running slot A1 and A2 as dual channel, and then B1 and B2 as dual channel

i would recomend the g.skill gbgh cos their cheap (like $140) and they get up to around ddr500 wityh 2-2-2-5 and a decent amount of v.dimm most go higher than ddr500 with some going to 530 or 540

Okay, if I get 4x512mb g.Skill TCCD ram, will it be faster and overclock better on a DFI Lanparty nF4 SLI-DR mobo than 2x1gb w/e performance brand memory will?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom