The Linux Thread! Hooray!

Status
Not open for further replies.

shan

Daemon Poster
It apprears that there are soooo many Windows users here I'd like to get some ideas, programs or problems on Linux!

Windows users, why don't you like linux? Have you tried it?

I've thought about converting my older machine to Linux. Now if only there were enough hours in a day...

cniv said:
I run mandrake 9 at home. Lovein it.
Hell ya! My friend got me switched over a couple years ago, ever since... it's all i've been using really. I'll admit it at work i have to use windows every now and then, but i try hard not to.

Since finding WineX, at transgaming.com, I wouldnt have it any other way.

I can play all my favorite Windows games on linux, and when new ones come out, They are working with it within a few weeks.

TUX RULES!

It took me a while to settle on it, but I've finally decided on Mandrake 9. I've tried most of the popular Linux distros, including RedHat, Slackware, Phat Linux, Corel Linux, and everything in between. I don't know why, but I just found Mandrake 9 installed more smoothly and generally ran better. The only trouble I ever had was getting my Geforce4 working, but even that didn't take long.

I'll admit I still use Windows more, but that's mostly because I'm so used to it. I'm gradually easing myself into Linux, and rather than booting back to Windows when I need to do something I'm not sure how to do in Linux, I'll spend a bit of time trying to figure it out instead.

Damn, Microsoft rules this website, this came from this sites statistics.

Operating System:

Windows: Windows 91.94 % (492512)
Linux: Linux 0.398 % (2134) <-- We're dead last, arghhhh!
Mac/PPC: Mac - PPC 0.553 % (2965)
Unknown: Other 7.060 % (37818)

altho i use a mixture of windows and linux servers at my workplace, i have one real reservation with regards to linux,mainly the priorites of the modules and kernels.
on a linux system u have a kernel controlling and coordinating all the in's and out's of the system BUT due to the way the current versions are designed the kernel does not have the rights to skip or bypass modules. this means if one module failed the kernel could not bypass this fault which could lead to serious os problems as soon as they fix that microsoft will be left behind

btw we are also 4getting someone here ... novell who's systems are far better than microsoft AND linux

I tried red hat 7.1, and would have continued with it if it were not wor my winmodem problems. I am getting a cable modem soon so I may give it another try

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom