How to get SATA HD to work with XP Pro?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jylanthas

Beta member
I have a Serial ATA Western Digital 120 GB Hard drive with an 8mb cache. My bios (Phoenix Award) recognizes it in the RAID utility setup and when the system does the startup checks it also recognizes it as my primary drive. However when I try to instal Windows XP Pro, it loads everything in the beginning after hardware inspection but the when I choose "instal windows xp" it says that there is no hard drive connected. I figure this is because windows automatically wants an IDE but I don't know how to get it to recognize my SATA. BTW my jumper is set on the farthest over to the right for the HD, which is how it came, though i don't have a jumper reference to whether this is correct or not.
Does anyone know how to fix my problem?

go to western digitals website, find your HDD and set it to cable select, BTW what kind of MOBO do you have and what is the chipset on the RAID function? i have a MOBO with ICH5R (MSI 875PE NEO-FIS2R) and i have been having trouble getting it to even recognize my WD 100GB IDE drive, it has the exact same symptoms you said, it will load fine into the setup of windows, then it gets stuck at DRIVER.CAB, sometimes it makes it past that, but its just weird, I havent tried it in a while, it could have possibly been my CD, well, if you could list some more info that would be really helpful

@#*EDIT*#@

i went to WD's website and (i assume it is the WD1200JD?) i found that the jumpers are for power management, not master/slave configuration, is it possible that they dont have to be configured? how does that make any sense

WD1200JD

@#*EDIT*#@

this is because you do not have the SATA drivers installed. windows installation prompts you to press (i think F8) a key to load drivers.

the drivers must be installed from a floppy diskette not CD. if they did not give you a driver diskette goto western digital website and download your driver.

it looks to me his board supports RAID, but he is actually just using 1 SATA hard disk. would you still use RAID drivers dave? didn't know there was a difference in RAID or SATA drivers, oops :eek:

I have an issue with the silicon image controller card and or the hard drive. I am using that card the 3112a model and a W.D 36gb SATA raptor. My issue is that when loading the o/s it takes about 5min for it to do anything. It is like it is freezing for around 5-8 min, doing nothing at all, and then all of a sudden it works. The drive is recognized everything works except for when booting up, and it was the same for installing the o/s. Also, I have 2 different o/s's on two different drives and it does it no matter if im booting of the o/s that is on the sata drive or not. I belive it is the controller card, and yes i have the most updated drivers available on the website and have even upgraded the bios of the controller card and it still remains the same.

Note:

Ive also had problems with the controller card recognizing the drive and have tried every port on the card: 2 internal that do not recognize the drive and 1 external that odly does recognize the drive. I had to run the sata cable through an empty pci slot to the back of the controller. This is the only way it recognizes the drive. I am wondering if there is some jumper on the actual card that needs to be set to make it internal only. This problem is very annoying to say the least. Any help would be appreciated

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom