norton disk doctor - cant get access

Status
Not open for further replies.

tedhiggins

Baseband Member
This may be a simple question but im damned if i know how to solve it.

I have two hard drives and have a lot of info flowing around and drive c has a tendency to get very fragmented. So i need to run norton defragmenter but it says there are problems.

So i need to run disk doctor but the following appears:

"the operating system, or another process, currently has exclusive access to this drive, or some of its files"

Drive c has the op sys or at least all the main files wheras drive f is for large scale storage. I really need to fix drive c.

I have tried running in safe mode and then using disk doctor but same happens. Have also looked high and low on the internet but still no luck!

Is this to do with file mermissions and such like? I do have a lot of different apps, am part of a LAN.

Can anyone out there assist!!??

What OS are you running?
Try running a CHKDSK first before the Norton fix.
Start > Run > type "chkdsk" and hit enter.

After this is complete, try the operation again.

-Mike

ted im just guessing at this, but are both drives on same cable ? if so try unplugging slave,just to see if it doc works

well im running 2000 but i have tried the chkdsk route and hasnt solved anything so far. As for the drives - im pretty sure the are on the same ide cable. Will have a rummage and see if this helps and report back,

cheers.

That is pretty interesting. I use DiskKeeper (excellent app, btw) and sometimes it will have similar problems. But Diskkeeper normal tells you exactly what's wrong....even down to the file or memory allocation (if it's the pagefile.sys file) where the problem is. It also tells you to run chkdsk. Here take a look at this KB.
Hope this helps...

http://service1.symantec.com/suppor...85256e24004e227c?OpenDocument&src=bar_sch_nam

-Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom