Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Geforce

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Beefcake said:
Here look at this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cell_(microprocessor) I am kind of busy right now because I am trying to watch a football game (Bengals just got an interception :p) lol.

Wow they got it up to 5.2GHz :amazed: that thing would be screaming.

Thanks for the link. I'm still reading it. But this is what they say in possible implementations;

Blade server

IBM has already presented a blade server prototype based on two Cell processors, running the 2.6.11 Linux kernel. [21] The processors ran at 2.4 - 2.8 GHz. IBM expects to soon run them at 3.0 GHz, providing 200 GFLOPS single-precision floating point performance per CPU (or 400 GFLOPS per board). IBM also expects to arrange seven blades in a single rackmount chassis (similar to their BladeCenter product line) for a total performance of 2.8 TFLOPS (or 284 GFLOPS in double precision) per chassis. However, the performance numbers released by IBM are still theoretical, and the real-world performance may fall significantly short of theoretical expectations.

Console videogames

Sony's PlayStation 3 video game console will contain the first production application of the Cell processor, clocked at 3.2 GHz and containing seven usable SPEs. An eighth will be manufactured, but one will be disabled at the factory in order to allow Sony to increase the yield on the processor manufacture.

Home cinema

Reportedly, Toshiba is considering producing HDTVs using Cell. They have already presented a system to decode 48 MPEG-2 streams simultaneously on a 1920×1080 screen.

All media stuff. Trust me, its not going to be on a PERSONAL COMPUTER.

But I'm sure the PC will have something other then the cell that is screaming. I probably will just wait till the PS3 drops the price if I get it.

PCs have never had as huge of a jump before as you're suggesting they could make right now. Moore's law stands.

Beefcake said:
But I'm sure the PC will have something other then the cell that is screaming. I probably will just wait till the PS3 drops the price if I get it.

lets see...PS3 is supposedly going to come out in mid 2006 or early 2007 is the 360 fails, it would take like 6 months for the price to drop, u could be waiting for a lllloooooonnnnnnnggggggg time, lol

and flanker, if a console can have something like a cell processor, y cant a pc??

i dont see how they r make it any cheaper than that, they dont have a strong enough title lineup to depend on their games making up 4 their loss every time they sell their console

I know; now that Rockstar is no longer signing any exclusive deals with anybody GTA6 (why do people call it GTA4?) is not going to be exlusive or releasing early on the PS3. And FF12 is coming out on the PS2 am I right?

So far the only thing I am really looking forward to on the PS3 is MGS4 and I-8.

im gonna get the 360, looking forward to:

1. Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
2. Quake 4
3. Perfect Dark Zero
4. Kameo: Elements of Power
5. Top Spin 2
6. Project Gotham Racing 3
7. Amped 3

i think all of these are 360 exclusives, correct me if im wrong

and of course, halo 3, whenever the hell that comes out:D :D

Spartan666 said:
lets see...PS3 is supposedly going to come out in mid 2006 or early 2007 is the 360 fails, it would take like 6 months for the price to drop, u could be waiting for a lllloooooonnnnnnnggggggg time, lol

and flanker, if a console can have something like a cell processor, y cant a pc??

OMG. DO YOU PEOPLE READ?!

Flanker said:
The Cell was designed to be a gaming console processor. IBM and Sony (with Toshiba) spefecifically had IBM design the processor for them on the spot. I know what you mean though, I used to be like, "OMG that processor in a PC you be WTF-PWNAGE-OMGz." But its not like that. I know tons of people that're like, "The Cell is going to revolutionize the PC industry," and I keep telling them that it won't work. The Cell just isn't a PC processor, it won't run stuff like our PCs do. Its not a matter of time either. The world isn't going to suddenly change and make all the game design process favor the Cell.

Thats also why its hard for designers to make games. They aeren't used to this kind of processor design.

ok, dude, i said something LIKE the cell thats optimized for the pc. OMG, DO U EVER READ? and yeah, obviously they r gonna have major problems programming on cell, first few games are gonna be crap, but after that...*drool*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom