My computer-to-be... comments?

Status
Not open for further replies.

david_1475

Solid State Member
Well I've finally decided what I am going to get for my new computer, so here is your chance to give me the thumbs up, suggest something else, let me know if ive missed something (other than a monitor and speakers :p), or tell me I've made a complete mess of it.

P4 640 Prescott 3.2ghz 2mb cache processor

ASUS P5GD2-X intel 915P, skt 775, DDR2, PCI-E (inc. SATA) motherboard

1024MB DDR2 533mhz (PC4200) RAM

Noki p4 4bay case with 500watt psu

Pioneer 110D 16x DVD burner

Seagate barracuda 160gb 8mb SATA 7200RPM HDD

Wireless keyboard and mouse

Sapphire Radeon X800-GT 256mb PCI-E (I spent a lot of time checking out various video cards and i eventually decided that this was the best value i could get here in australia. The same money would only buy me a 128mb GF6600. Besides, ive already ordered it).

All this will set me back around AU$1300 which would roughly convert to about US$975 (though there would be a small difference in buying power).

Think this thing could cain the latest stuff like BF2 and WoW? I can save $100 if i downgrade the processor to 3.0ghz and the HDD to 80gb. Would that noticably effect performance?

You may want a CD-ROM/RW drive... I personally have both a CD-RW (primarily for music CDs), and my CD-Rom for games.

Wireless keyboard and mouse -> NOT good for gaming. I mean, no matter what, there will always be at least a split second of delay...if you're in to the quick action games...!

Graphics...DON'T get that, it's the worst card ever. Games crash all the time (something about the chipset used with it...), you need to send that sucker back ASAP! ..aww, who am I kidding...ignore that comment (JOKE).

Processor...3.2 or 3.0, you'll not see much difference in games so much, but if it's not much difference in price, go for the extra. And on that note, if you're going after the speed, you can always grab a 10K RPM drive for your installs...but that'd be quite a bit extra $.

Why Intel? :) AMD rules all...hehe...sorry...

But it definetly will take on the latest...and that's a fact.

So um, thats my opinion, and I'll stick to it for now:)

Im with zula about the keyboard an mouse, dont get wireless, save some money on that, an get the 3.0ghz cpu instead, just oc it 200mhz, thats simple an such a small oc wont risk any damage or anything( if your one of them anti OCer ppl)

i dunno about that video card, but for like $250 bucks its gonna suck, my card sux! an i assume they are about the same lvl of performance, like i mean it runs BF2 an crap fine, but it anoys me alot when i cant max stuff out to look like it does in some of the screen shots you see.

yeh you should try an not get that vid card, an save that 100 bux on the cpu and hdd, an get a 6800gt, atleast!

its easy to add a hdd later if u do drop back to the 80gb

Thanks for the advice on the wireless keyboard and mouse. I'll definately leave that out. As for the video card, does it really crash heaps?? I wont be too bothered if it turns out to not be quite as good as a 6600gt, but if it crashes constantly then im going to end up smashing my computer into a wall. Is there an article or something about that? Anyone else had this card and had that problem?

The idea about saving on the cpu and HDD and putting the extra cash into a better video card is a good one. The best thing i could find that was a few $$$ more than the x800gt but still within budget was an "XFX 6800 SLi Ready 256meg DDR3 PCi Express TV Out DVI Model: PV-T42P-UDP7" which is factory overclocked (just read a post where someone said XFX's have temperature issues though), and a XFX 6600gt 256mb. Any comments?

Oh, as i mensioned before, im australian so unfortunately any shop/product links you send me wont be much use. The x800gt's seem to be quite a bit cheaper than 6600gt's over here :(

hmm gaming = AMD, so that if you haven't ordered that yet that could be better, also with the vid cards I heard that the drivers suck but I think ATi reacently released some new drivers that also increased performance and also with the shutdowns I don't know about that, I just heard that the card itself really sucks compared to some others for the price.

thats an ok setup but i would get the tried and true 6600GT over the X800GT

also where are you getting it msy?
if i was spending 1300 on a box at msy www.msy.com.au i would get this

for an amd system
Gigabyte K8NF-9 $138
AMD 64 3700+ SAN DIAGO $348
1GIG (2x512) CORSAIR VALUE SELECT $140
WD 200GIG 8MB SATA $129
256MB SAPHIRE X800GTO $274 (heard great things about the GTO and GTO2)
PIONEER 110 DVD-RW BLACK$72
THERMALTAKE TSUNAMI CASE $199
total $1290

Thanks for the link. That GTO is dirt cheap. If it doesnt have those crashing issues that were mensioned, id be more than happy to go with that. Unfortunately they dont post, but apparently one of their QLD stores is now arranging courier services. Any idea how much that usually costs? I'm in QLD aswell, but not in the local area.

I'm probably going to get my computer through 'The Disc Shop' (www.thediscshop.com.au) because they are the cheapest ive found in my area. Although their prices are more expensive than a lot of the stuff on the web, they do free assembly and there is no postage cost, so it basically wipes out the price difference. Their video cards suck though, so thats why im getting one from somewhere else.

As for the AMD setup, ive never tried AMD or known too much about it, so i havent really considered it. Why would a 2.4ghz 3700+ AMD processor be better than a 3.0ghz P4? Would it make much difference? A 3.0ghz P4 would basically be on par with it wouldnt it?

**** this stuff gets annoying. The sooner i settle for something the better. At least then i can sit there yelling at my computer with the knowledge that there is nothing i can do about it :)

ok well see the numbers xxxx+ on the amd that would mean that it would be the mhz intel style. see what I mean, this is becuase of how the bus speed or something like that is.

Yea the 3700+ is equivalent to a P4 clocked at 3.7 GHz. Also since AMD is putting out their new CPUs the price on the older stuff is like 20-30 american bucks cheaper.

if you think of the mhz as gassoline the amd is able to drive further than the intel with the same amout of mhz beacause it is more efficiant like a v8 from like 20 years ago. they ate gas but a v6 now can outperform them and is more gas efficiant(i think i remember this metaphore from sombody else explaining it to me)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom