Fan died on my vid card

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matasata

Baseband Member
I have a Raedon 9800 PRO vid card. This morning the system rebooted a couple times and a saw some flickering on my screen. I poped off the side and the heatsink on the vid card about burnt my finger. The fan will not turn.

Being a guy that likes to tinker I tried to figure out a solution. Here is what I did. Please tell me if I am nuts or about to damage my card. :eek:

I poped off the old heatsink and cleaned off the chip. I dug around and found a old heatsink/fan from a AMD 2000+ chip I had. Then I put some arctic silver on the chip. I put a little superglue on the metal rim surrounding the chip. I then positioned the fan careful not to touch any thing on the card its self. /pray.... /pray.... Turned power on.

It seems to be running ok. The heatsink is barely warm, but it seems to be doing the job. My main worry is will the superglue hold with the heat.

Thanks for any help :beard:

Superglue??

what if you need to get it off, lol overheat it?

seems to be ok, why didnt you go to the store and get some artic5?

Whats the temp now?

~Joe

Hmm.... good point about the superglue.

What is artic5?

I cant really get a temp or I can't find where to get it at. Unlike on my 850XT PE it doesnt display the temp on the ATI control panel.

yeah i heard a lot of modding to get an AMD heatsink on a 9800pro but that has to do with cutting and getting that metal thing off and then screwing the heatsink on and all that confusing stuff but you just made it easy and put superglue on it LOL!!

you could just RMA the card and said the fan died but i guess you went the easier way :D i just put a zalman on mines

Well, after it was underload most of the day the heatsink fell off. I had the case turned so I could watch it and quickly cut the power. I do not think I killed the card. (Don't laugh but I had the heatsink tied down with a bit of string from an old yo-yo so it would not completely come free)

I did not get a chance to check the temps. I don't get much time to veg out on gameing, but I suppose after I find a lighter fan I will check the temps.

I guess it would be smart to just buy a fan made for the card. I assum they are out there....

Well, unless I can rig this thing to work!!!

Ghetto FTW!!1!

Wow, if nothing else the VF700-Cu sure is sweetlooking. Seems like people are using those on the 850XT PE as well. Funny how something smaller than the monster that comes on the 850 would actually be better.

Is the VF700-Cu easy to clean? I tend to get a lot of dust and have to clean everything out about once a month.

Anyway thanks again for the info :)

hmmm... I saw something about thermal epoxy.... <mind wanders...>

yes it is, i have it on my 9800pro. you shuold see what core you have too while your cleaning :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom