My first build.

Status
Not open for further replies.

|MDA|Hitokiri

Solid State Member
So you all know, I have been a Mac user for the past nine years. Having a lack in the availability of games, I am looking towards PC. I am heavily into the Battlefield series, and any other 1st person realistic shooter. From this, I need a system that will handle some fairly intense gaming. Although I am heavily into gaming, I am not much into sound effects. On-board sound will do just fine, I find myself listening to music from a separate device instead.

I plan on spending in and around $1,500. This purchase will need to include all computer components, a monitor, and an OS. I also plan on making all purchases from newegg.com.

Following is a list of highly researched parts.

Power supply -Antec TRUEPOWERII TPII-550 550W Power Supply - Retail - $74.99 + $1.99

Case - AMS Gmono CF-2029 BLK Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail - $39.00 + $15.99

CPU - AMD Athlon 64 3500+ Venice 1GHz FSB 512KB L2 Cache Socket 939 Processor - Retail - $201.00

GPU - eVGA 256-P2-N525-AX Geforce 7800GTX 256MB 256-bit GDDR3 VIVO PCI Express x16 Video Card - Retail - $459.00 + $5.99

Motherboard - ASUS A8N-E ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail - $115.00 +$1.99

Memory - CORSAIR XMS 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM Unbuffered DDR 400 (PC 3200) Dual Channel Kit System Memory - Retail - $221.00

-NOTE: I plan to upgrade to 4GB of RAM in the future.

HDD - Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD2500KS 250GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM - $121.50 + $3.49

FDD - SAMSUNG Black Internal Floppy Drive Model SFD321B/LBL1 - OEM - $7.99 + $2.50

ODD - LITE-ON Black IDE DVD Burner Model SOHW-1693S Black - Retail - $42.95

Cooling - Rosewill RFA80-K 80mm Sleeve Case Cooling Fan - Retail (x2) - $3.98 + $9.98

Monitor - DELL UltraSharp 1704FPT 17-inch Flat Panel LCD Monitor with Height Adjustable Stand - $313.65

-NOTE: This monitor will be the only product I cannot buy from newegg, Dell.com instead. I may change my mind about this display, what would you suggest?

OS - Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition with Service Pack 1a - OEM - $88.95 + $.99

Total = $1,689.01 + $42.92 for shipping and handling

I would like to go with the AMD 3500+ along with the 7800GTX, but would pairing these two cause the CPU to act as a bottleneck? Would pairing the 7800GTX along with an AMD 4000+ CPU boost performance in any noticable way?

If I were to go with the AMD 4000+, that would be an extra $143. I would rather not pay that if I don't have to. I am already pushing the budget here.

As for the monitor, Dell.com has just priced the model I have listed $100 more than what it was showing last week ($239 jumping to $313). I have no idea what the hell happened there. Anyways, I would like an LCD display, 17" minimum, and under $250. Any suggestions on what brands to look at?

Also, concerning upgrading in the future. I may add a WiFi, TV tuner, and sound card to this computer at some point, along with increasing RAM once needed. Also take note I do not plan on doing any overclocking in the near future, mabye once I become more familar with it.

Please post any advice you may have concerning all parts and questions, thanks.

most i like but if you are planning on possibly becoming an overclocker then i would change the motherboard (the 939 pci-e asus arn't good) i would change it to this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813136152
i also wouldn't get the ram for the price i would get either 2Xhttp://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820231031 or 2X http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820231024

the differance is that the first costs a bit less, will probebly run faster in a non overclocked system than the second, it will probebly overclock a decent way and the second will overclock farther and is a bit more expensive.

as for the 3500 or 4000 the 4000 is quite a bit better and yes in that system the cpu will be the bottleneck probebly but if i had the choce i would get the X2 3800 for less than the 4000 and more than the 3500.

Currently the FX-57 bottlenecks the 7800 range of cards. So any CPU is gunna have some affect on your gaming but the faster the cpu the lower the affect. I would also suggest going with an X2 3800+ especially since NVIDAs latest driver release has support for new Dual Core CPUs, bosting performans lessening the bottleneck on the card.

Also note that Lite-On is like the gerneric brand for optical device. You should look to a name brand like sony,pioneer and others that are more well known for that kind of stuff.

try to get an X2 processor yes

dont go with corsair XMS series ram, cause they are crap and make you pay a lot. if you arent a serious OCer but you just want to try out i would recommend the MSI K8N NEo4-F or NEO4-platinum

Thankyou for your replies.

I will not go with a dual core CPU. This is because while playing a game, the system will only take advantage of one of the two processors. But, I do see that it would be much better to go with an AMD 4000+.

most i like but if you are planning on possibly becoming an overclocker then i would change the motherboard (the 939 pci-e asus arn't good) i would change it to this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...N82E16813136152

I would also want to stick with the ASUS A8N-E for the motherboard, I have heard from far too many creditable people to do otherwise. But, I do apreciate your suggestions, and I will take them into account regardless. I do not plan to overclock for three or more years. Looking at the reviews on Newegg.com, I also see this product could be troublesome for first time builders.

dont go with corsair XMS series ram, cause they are crap and make you pay a lot.

As for the ram, I am gearing towards Corsair because it is recommended by ASUS. Unless you can convince me with charts and diagrams showing other brands are of higher quality then Corsair, I may be more willing to take your advice.

Also note that Lite-On is like the gerneric brand for optical device. You should look to a name brand like sony,pioneer and others that are more well known for that kind of stuff.

I choose LITE-ON over Sony, and other brands, because it has a good reputation for quality along with a reasonable price tag. Also, this drive comes with Nero software for burning. I don't use optical drives too much for burning, mabye one disk every month. Don't get me wrong though, I want the option of having the ability to burn any type of media I want. The only other reasons I have one is to install games and play the occasional DVD/CD.

|MDA|Hitokiri said:

I will not go with a dual core CPU. This is because while playing a game, the system will only take advantage of one of the two processors. But, I do see that it would be much better to go with an AMD 4000+.

I would also want to stick with the ASUS A8N-E for the motherboard, I have heard from far too many creditable people to do otherwise. But, I do apreciate your suggestions, and I will take them into account regardless. I do not plan to overclock for three or more years. Looking at the reviews on Newegg.com, I also see this product could be troublesome for first time builders.

the only reason that the asus have good reviews is beacause they were the first out. for instance if u look at the a8n-sli it got like 98% in every review but in the rereviews that have been done people have been giving it like 70-80% beacause it has a crap chipset fan and is slow. it has poor voltage controll and can be picky with ram

as for cpu choice the 4000+ is a LOT faster than the 3500+ cos it has twice the cach. i would go for the duelcore beacause soon games will be duelcore compatible and i also like doing multiple things while a game loads. if ur gonna get the 3500+ then don't bother with such a super grfx card and get the 7800GT and save the cash cos the 3500 will still be the bottleneck

Sh0r_ty said:
the only reason that the asus have good reviews is beacause they were the first out. for instance if u look at the a8n-sli it got like 98% in every review but in the rereviews that have been done people have been giving it like 70-80% beacause it has a crap chipset fan and is slow. it has poor voltage controll and can be picky with ram

as for cpu choice the 4000+ is a LOT faster than the 3500+ cos it has twice the cach. i would go for the duelcore beacause soon games will be duelcore compatible and i also like doing multiple things while a game loads. if ur gonna get the 3500+ then don't bother with such a super grfx card and get the 7800GT and save the cash cos the 3500 will still be the bottleneck

The chipset fan problem in the A8N-E was fixed about 4 months ago. From what I have gathered from research, the voltage control is fine. You are right in that it is picky with memory, all it takes is looking at the ASUS site and make sure the RAM I choose will be compatible. The best quality memory I can find that can go with this board is the Corsair XMS.

As for the CPU, I will be going with the AMD 4000+.

Thankyou for posting.

|MDA|Hitokiri said:

games in the future and right now are utillizing dual cores like FEAR and new games coming out in 2006 so you would be much better off going with an X2. Why would you go with a 4000+ even if the X2 is around the same in gaming right now and will be better in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom