• Geforce

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
TSHF said:
I'm still getting a PS3 and PSP.

Bottom line is consoles are designed to be better in the long-run and that is why you have the high numbers. The games initially aren't designed to use the maximum power of the system. PCs are better for now rather than later, and that is why sometimes PCs need more upgrading.

Suppose in a five year span, you upgrad your gfx three times which is how long a console usually lasts. You also get the middle-high gaming card which average pc gamers get which is what $125 for the 6600GT or call it $140. You're still paying $420 and that is what you would pay for a console at its start, the PS3 is $500+ so that is how i think of pc being cheaper. Secondly, the graphics cards sometimes last you even longer where you may only upgrade twice in a 5-year span.

Desperate response. Seriously guys, If you're going to argue, don't be so lame. And think about what you're saying, because if you don't, I'll make you see it.

The bottom line is that the consoles ARE going to be better in the long run. Yes, you're right on the part that the games won't exactly be 7-threaded games when they come out.

Lets take your 5-year span example. It was a sad sads examply by the way. Upgrading the graphics card only in 5 years? Look at five years ago dude. That was the time of 1.0GHz Pentium IIIs. Hell, a 1.0GHz Pentium III was awesome at the time. I remember I bought a Pentium III system with 256MB RAM for $1600 5 years ago. Now, you're talking about upgrading the graphics 3 times; my question to you is; Are you going to put a 6600GT in a Pentium III processor?

Exactly. You're not. You'll buy a whole new system, a much much better system.

This is just getting sad.

PS3 in mid-2006 = 218 gigaflops.
Athlon 64 in mid-2006 = 7 gigaflops.

218/7 = 31. Meaning the Cell processor will be 31x faster.

Now lets look at Moore's law; "The speed of processors will double every 18 months."

Processor power in mid-2006 = 7 gigaflops x 2 = 14 gigaflops in 2008 (I added 18 months).

14 gigaflops in 2008 x 2 = 28 gigaflops in mid-2009.

28 gigaflops in mid-2009 x 2 = 56 gigaflops in 2011.

I think we can all agree that 2011 is when the PS3 will end its life? No? You think it'll last longer?

56 gigaflops in 2011 x 2 = 112 gigaflops in mid-2012.

Still 1/2 the power of the Cell.

112 gigaflops in mid-2012 x 2 = 224 gigaflops in 2014. NOW it equals the power of the Cell processor.

Basically, you'll have to keep upgrading your PC until 2014 ($$$$$$) if you want it to keep up with the PS3.

Or you could spend $500 and get a PS3...

Although I agree with you in general, Flanker, do you really think it's going to take 6+ years before a processor similar to the "cell" is developed for PCs? It's only a matter of time before that sort of technology is somehow integrated into the PC.

Also, he said 3 times within 5 years, not once.

socav said:
Although I agree with you in general, Flanker, do you really think it's going to take 6+ years before a processor similar to the "cell" is developed for PCs? It's only a matter of time before that sort of technology is somehow integrated into the PC.

The Cell was designed to be a gaming console processor. IBM and Sony (with Toshiba) spefecifically had IBM design the processor for them on the spot. I know what you mean though, I used to be like, "OMG that processor in a PC you be WTF-PWNAGE-OMGz." But its not like that. I know tons of people that're like, "The Cell is going to revolutionize the PC industry," and I keep telling them that it won't work. The Cell just isn't a PC processor, it won't run stuff like our PCs do. Its not a matter of time either. The world isn't going to suddenly change and make all the game design process favor the Cell.

Thats also why its hard for designers to make games. They aeren't used to this kind of processor design.

Also, he said 3 times within 5 years, not once.

Yea, I know, but the end result would be a 6600GT in a Pentium III right? I was just pointing out that that would be extremely illogical.

Oh, my bad about the 3 times, I read your post wrong...

And I see what you're saying about the processor.

Look, this has to be your decision. My gaming preference for home gaming is on a PC. There is no way I'm carrying a laptop in my car, hence the PSP.

If you like gaming on the PC more than on the current consoles, than just build the uber pc your want. A PC has more worth than a console anyway.

Flanker, the 360 is winning me over right now because they are showing me their games. Untill the PS3 shows me a reason to get the PS3 other then spec sheets and numbers I am going to be looking at the 360, is it that hard for you to understand?

The PS3 has shown me tech demos, some footage that we don't even know if it is pre-rendered or not (I hope it's not), and trailers for games (some of which are even coming to the 360). I haven't been to E3 but other people have and I can listen to their opinion. Just because you have 1000+ posts don't mean that I don't know what I am talking about, it just means you have been on these forums longer then I. Then you start calling me an idiot, a noob, and a asshole when all I was doing was telling why I like the 360. You can't JUST compare flops when it comes to proccessors; you have to look at some other things and I know your probably just call me an idiot noob asshole just because you say so.

The bottom line is that the 360 has shown me a lot of stuff and the PS3 has not. Why is it that hard for you to understand that is why I am LEANING toward the 360? You can't compare consoles if you don't have much to compare. And if you actually believe that it will take 7 years for a PC to equall the cell then you are the noob. Sure you can't take a ps3 and pull out the Cell and plug it into a PC; but they can take the architecture of the Cell and implement it into a PC CPU.

http://hardware.gamespot.com/Story-ST-x-1985-x-x-x

"However, whenever you look at console technical specs, you also have to take them with a whole truckload of salt since the game console market has a long history of making a big deal out of numbers that don't really matter, or even making up numbers that have a tenuous grasp on reality."

So what if the cell has 2 teraflops, it isn't going to help that much no matter what you say. I think that the cell could be better then the multi-core but I will have to wait and see cause it says that "You might be able to call the Cell's SPEs overgrown math units, but we think Sony's Cell processor wins from a brute power perspective". Also many experts are saying that the 360's GPU has a upperhand over the PS3 GPU.

You took some of my points and completly changed what I meant. I am an American and I will always perfer American products and that point was just a little joke. I had THREE dam PS2s that have died on me but I always managed to buy another one because I love their games even thugh their reliability is horrible. Sony has always made cheap products. I am afraid that if I spend 500 bucks on a console and it breaks because they were worried that the price would be to high so they make cheap parts for it.

After I get my PC I am going to get one of the two consoles but RIGHT NOW I am leaning toward the 360, I mean RIGHT NOW. This can change when the PS3 comes closer to release but for now I am looking at the 360. I am repeating this so much because you don't seem to understand what I mean

I'm not even gonna quote you, lol.

How hard is it for YOU to understand that this isn't a Xbox360 vs. PS3 thread, but a PC vs. Console thread. Lol...

You don't know what a flop is, so you say that it doesn't matter. Floating-point operations are THE way you test a PC's power.

One of the best processor comparison and benchmarking programs out there, SiSoft's Sandra, shows you your PC's performance in MIPS (FLOPS' younger cousin) and FLOPS. Capiche?

Can't the Xbox 360 CPU be implemented into our computers soon?

Anyways, most of the PS3 game previews at E3 looked pre-rendered. Also, at the time of E3, Sony didn't even have a working cell processor at all. It was still just a design. They were making huge claims with no proof.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom