Venice Overclocking

Status
Not open for further replies.

24hrs

Baseband Member
Im thinkng about buying a new cpu, and was definately considereing getting the athlon 64 3000+ because of the review it had on hexus.net... (overclocked with some pretty standard cooling gear to 2.8ghz, was consistantly out-gunning the fx-55 and quite often the 4800 X2 )

Which brings to question, if i were to buy, say, a 3500 or 3800 with a venice core, would i be able to obtain even higher clock speeds than that of the 3000+ ?... Is that how it works? ( sorry if this sounds like a stupid question )

on a seperate note, am i dreaming, as far as getting a clock speed this high goes??

All feedback is appreciated,
Thanks Dudes :)

usually the things holding you back on your OC is your

1) ram
2) mobo
3) psu
4) sometimes you just get a crap cpu, the early cpu OC very well but now they just dont even want to to do a 10%OC, the reason why is that amd made SURE that their 3000+ did 1.8Ghz so they put like a 3500+ and just downclocked it or just made sure it would do 1.8Ghz stable. but now they know it will do 1.8Ghz so they just make it stock at 1.8Ghz so you cant OC any where :( so it is better to buy a cpu when a new one comes out so you can get like a 50% OC on stock voltage

Entirely luck of the draw depending on how they speedbinned the processors at the time of production...getting a 3000+ that is infact a 3800+ is still possible, it just isn't as likely to happen

mmm, what do u think my chances are of getting a good 4000+ san diego core are next week?

By the way i acquired a venice core from my friend just 2 weeks ago, and its sittin at 2250 now, but i did have it at 2.5ghz earlier and it seemed stable, was hot tho so i brought it back down

Edit:
oh yeh an u dont need good ram 2 OC, just gotta do the memory divider thing :)

So if im not going to get much of an oc, what cpu would you reccommend?

and should i try finding a used venice core cpu on ebay?

get an X2 :D

just get like a 3700+ san diego. though you wont get much of a OC its still good processor at stock

Thanks PZEROFGH.... think i might do that...

Is dual-core really that good? should i be thinking about getting a 3800X2....And Do you think itd be worth spending extra money on cooling equipment if its not meant to o/c too well ( i have crap/next to nothing cooling equip. )

the new opturon 939 people are hitting insane speeds on them (the first batch were infact rebadged FX-57 WOOOT)

oooooo.....

maybe i should think about getting myself one of these bad boys...

Is it still early enough to be getting one that can o/c well??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom