why is my system slow?

Status
Not open for further replies.
runescaper said:
i decided to put a whole new thing together, might as well have 2 computers. I got this list together of things am planning to use.

1. Case: Just 4 PC - Beige Mid-Tower Case with AMD Approved and Intel Pentium 4 Ready 425 Watt Power Supply
CAD $48.99
2. Motherboard: Soyo - P4I 845PE Lite - Socket 478 ATX Motherboard with Audio, AGP, USB and 10/100Mbps Ethernet LAN Support
CAD $49.97
3. Processor: Intel® Pentium® 4 2.20Ghz / 512k Cache / 400FSB / Socket 478 / Processor
CAD $173.99
4. Memory: Corsair Value Select 512MB PC2700 DDR 333MHz Memory
CAD $111.9
5. Storage: Maxtor 80GB / 7200 / 2MB / 8.0 / ATA-133 EIDE Hard Drive
CAD $104.99
6. Optical Devices: Artec Beige 52x24x52x IDE Internal CD-RW Drive with Nero Burning Software
CAD $44.99
7.Cooling:
-Processor: Ultra Aluminum Socket 478 up to P4 2.8GHz CPU Cooling Fan (CAD $20.99)
-Hard drive: Speeze Hard Drive Cooler Fan fits 3.5" Drives (CAD $8.99)
-Case: Speeze 80mm Case Fan (CAD $6.99)
-Memory: Ultra Memory Aluminum Cooler (DDR or SDRAM) (CAD $9.99)
8. Input devices : I would shop around town, could get em cheap.
9. Monitor: A good CRT lives in my basement
10. Video Card: Connect3D Radeon 9200se 128MB DDR AGP with TV-Out Video Card
CAD $77.99

GRAND TOTAL IS : CAD $659.78 (around US $494)

is it worth it going through the trouble? coz am really looking forward to a good project.
and please feel free to make suggestions and point out any incompatablilties.

1) a case is a case, 425w should be plenty
2) y go with such an old chipset? get one of the new 865 or 875 chipsets, youll be much happier
3) im not sure on the exchange rate, but you can get the 2.8GHz P4 @ 800MHz (FSB) for only $200
4) get a 1GB kit, you can get one for around $170 (PC3200 DDR400)
5) most of the new chipsets have SATA which is much faster, but that drives not bad
6) my fav drives (which I have never had trouble with) are the LITE-ONs
7)wouldnt worry too much about memory or HDD cooling, because if you have at least 2 case fans (+ PSU & CPU fans ) you should be fine, also if you buy a retail version of the P4 chip, you get their heatsink and fan, + a 3YR warranty
8) best buy or something like that for those, theyre too cheap
9) easy one, just keep the CRT lol
10) nice video card

these are all from my personal experience, you will be much happier if you buy the better parts now

amd643200+ said:
also one thing i do when trying to make other people scomputer is format the whole thing then it is as fast as the day you bought it

format and add some ram should make a difference

Sorry to hijack the thread, but how does one format a computer when building it, it sounds to me like a very good idea...

thread all yours now True_Orb, i got wat i came for
thanks for the help guys!
any more suggestions would be greatly appreciated but am setting off to buy them :)

True_Orb said:
Sorry to hijack the thread, but how does one format a computer when building it, it sounds to me like a very good idea...

when you install a new OS the disk you install it with should automatically format it, therefore removing all past information on it, or you can make a dos boot disk and run fdisk, but thatll format it in a DOS partition and youll have to format it in FAT32 or NTFS again anywayz

"when you install a new OS the disk you install it with should automatically format it, therefore removing all past information on it,"

I understand that much, thanks :)

I just wanted to know what formatting was and why it's a good idea. I pretty much get it, but I don't specifically know how to do it.

You have given me enough of an explanation, I will prod you for step-by-step info when I need it :p

Alot of good pointers here , use your old P3 as a backup and build the sucker :) .How much do you want for your old system ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom