Generic RAM Frustrations

Status
Not open for further replies.

snowpunk

In Runtime
How much of a difference does generic vs. namebrand memory make? I (regretingly) was sold on some generic memory by one sales rep. The next day I call back and another sales rep tells me that having namebrand memory makes all the OCing difference in the world.

Right now I have some generic (Melco I think) PC3200 RAM. My OCing has plateued at 2.45Ghz on my Venice 3200+. CPU-z says my memory is OCed @ 204.2Mhz. My divider is at 166 Mhz. Chaning the divider to 133Mhz does not affect Prime95's outcome, nor does increasing voltage to my RAM at 133Mhz or 166Mhz.

Could generic RAM be the cause of my frustration? If it is my mobo or PSU or CPU instead, the question still remains.. does namebrand memory make all the difference in the world for OCing?

Only good ram will overclock, but you can get cheap ram to overclock by using memory dividers.

However if your changing the divider and and theirs' no difference your CPU is probolly maxing out at whatever voltage your using.

I think you CPU has hit a wall if the change in the divider doesnt help. Try raising the Vcore and lowering the divider to 133.......

k first i agree with the previouse 2 posts. it would seem that it is not ur ram that is holding u back but either ur mobo or cpu, the first question is what vcore of u useing beacause if u have not changed it that is a very nice overclock so try raising the vcore and see what that does. if you have already raised the vcore and that does nothing then u have either hit a wall with your cpu or your motherboard has maxed out. the easiest way to check i think would be to see if by reducing the multi to 5X (yea i know thats really low) it allowes you to raise the fsb higher and remain stable. if you can successfuly do this then ur cpu is the one that is maxing out and if u can't then ur mobo is holding u back

Shorty-

Okay so I tried what you said... here was the problem:

In order to reach 2.45Ghz by changing the multiplier to x5, I had to change the overclock to 290 Mhz to reach a total value of 490Mhz (490x5=2450) and change my HT to x2 so that I don't go over 1000 (490x2<1000). Only problem was the highest I can get my overclock to was 255Mhz, which would only give me 455 total, which equals total clock speed of 2275 or 2.2Ghz, a far cry from the original 2.45Ghz I am at now. So, what other suggestions do you have? Maybe changing my multiplier to x6 and adjust the other calculations accordingly? Would that work?

srry i wasn't really very clear. it doesn't really matter whether your cpu is running at 1ghz or 2.45 for that test beacause all im wondering is whether the motherboard can go up in fsb. so first to get your cpu to 2.45 with a 10X multi u had a 245mhz total value im wondering if your motherboard can go beyond this 245mhz or if the problem is that your motherboard is holding you back as if you lucked out your motherboard might not be able to cope with total fsb past 245mhz so it doesn't matter whether what the cpu is doing. for instance my motherboard can't cope with fsb past 312mhz but that doesn't matter beacause my cpu can only go up to 280X10

snowpunk said:
How much of a difference does generic vs. namebrand memory make? I (regretingly) was sold on some generic memory by one sales rep.
Comes down to the Ram Chipset there. Like it is some think like RAMOS chip, then forget about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom