Computer building problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snow1411

Beta member
Hi, I decided to build my own PC recently and I already ran into a problem during the assembly. I connected everything and tried a test run with just the motherboard, memory, video card, and CPU installed. The problem is, when I plug it in and try to turn it on it wont. When I flip the PSU switch in the back to the on position when it is plugged in it makes a chirping sort of noise and the power LED will blink for a second but then nothing happens. Then when I turn the switch off in the back and pull the plug the chirp and blink will happen again a few seconds after everything is all unplugged. I have tried many different things including removing and reinstalling the CPU, reinstalling the memory, and clearing the CMOS. I'm a first time builder and really need help here. Any help would be appreciated. Could it possibly be the power supply thats bad? My system specs are:

MSI K8N NEO4-F nForce4 Athlon 64 Skt939 DDR ATX Motherboard
AMD Athlon 64 3500+ Processor (Venice) Socket 939
Mushkin 991145 1GB Kit DDR400 SP3200 Standard Performance Memory
ATI RADEON X700 PRO, (256 MB) Graphic's Card

Just get the obvious out of the way.

What PSU do you have? Do you have any wires caught in the fans?

I would of said, listen out for where it is coming from, but sounds dodgy...

You could hotwire the PSU to eliminate it. Get a paper clip un fold it, and connect up the green pin, and any black one.

Ahh, I did forget to post the PSU... it's the 400 Watt Antec power supply that came with my Antec TX640B case. The chirping seems to be coming from the PSU.

If you are sure its coming from the PSU, than you will have to RMA it, with the company you brought it from. A good company will have you with one in about a week and a half. That is about the average that it has taken for my two things I have sent back. I'm waiting for my hard drive (bloody no corrier services on a the weekend.)

So how exactly did you say I could test that? I'm very new at all this and I don't want to ruin anything else(if it is in fact blown). What exactly do I do with the paper clip?

Haha, I figured it out.. tested it with the paper clip and determined it was the power supply. So I got a new one to test my theory and it works! Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom