ATI Crossfire MOBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

TermyBGL

Baseband Member
Hello again,

Thinking of an ATI Crossfire MOBO so I can have 2 vid cards running. I have a X800 Radeon and was thinking of getting a new X1800 .. would these be compatable or do they need to be simular to run together ?

I know 2 X800s would but not sure if 2 different models will ...

hey,

That i am aware of, both crossfire and SLI technology only allows you to put 2 of the SAME card in, i also believe that the same brand must be placed in, therefore only 2 X 1800XL's or 2 EVGA 7800GTX's would run, having 2 different model cards would bring about all sorts of combatibility issues, hope this helps.

I thought you are able to mix and match different cards, but if you match an X1800 up with an X800, the X1800 will only run at the speed of the X800 and only have the features of it as well. Or am I wrong?

Hmmm, im not sure, because isnt the architecture of all cards diffferent and therefore run differently, and also...if it did run at the lowest cards settings and what not, then purchasing the better card is a waste........that i am aware of you are only able to use 2 of the same cards.

you would need like an X800 card then the X800 crossfire edition card something like that i thought

Thanks for all your quick replies .. thinking about it I am guessing maybe having 2 simular cards (x800) would be the sensible thing, knowing they work.

Also maybe paying that much less on a slightly older card (2nd x800) would be better then paying out extra $$$ for the top notch model seeing how combined they might even produde better results.

Thankyou all for your very helpful replies.

WEll last time i heard ATI was going to make Crossfire better than SLI by letting you use 2 different type of cards simultaneously. I remember this right here in these forums when the other guys where talking about it along w/ mods. If not, then if you can afford an X1800 then get 2 X850s or something just in case im wrong.

Yes, just found something on ATI's site about 800 and 850 being compatable with all other 800 series, and, from what I understand you need 1 crossfire edition card and 1 compatable. So I have a compatable 800 and this new X1800 is supposed to be crossfire. (Newsest so wasnt included in the list)

So from what I've read today these 2 WILL be compatable with a crossfire MOBO... also had a FAQ about different speeds of the video cards. Says they will both run at their own speed, so I guess it looks good for ATI and my $$$.

Correct me if I'm wrong ... I'm new to crossfire/sli.

To build your own latest generation multi-GPU system, start with any existing Radeon® X800 or Radeon® X850 graphics card and a CrossFire Ready motherboard, such as those based on the ATI Radeon® Xpress 200 CrossFire chipset. Then add a Radeon CrossFire Edition co-processor board and plug in the external cable to unite multi-GPU power.

thats all i can find on the ATi webiste about crossfire hmm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom