SMART Failer Predicted

Status
Not open for further replies.

eoLithic

Baseband Member
Hi, I have an issue with my laptop. I get an error at startup that says "SMART Failure Predicted on Hard Disk 2: Toshiba MK3021GAS-(SM) Warning: Dell's Monitoring System has detected that the drive on the EIDE controller is operating outside of normal specifications. It is advisable the immediately back up your data and replace your hard-disk drive by calling your support desk or Dell Computer Corporation. Press F1 to continue"

Now I have read several articles about thie "SMART" software and how unreliable it is. I cannot get the machine to install windows, I have tried to format the drive and it does so successfully but I still cannot seem to get windows to install. Can I get some suggestions? Thanks!

Re:

Hello,

For how long has this SMART warning been appearing for...?

Quite simply your Hard Drive is kaputt :mad: . Soz to break it to you (well actually it's your laptop that broke it to you first...).

SMART works on tolerant levels, so operating boundaries. A parameter is outside of the safe boundaries and so results in a SMART warning. If SMART detects a fault that can potentially lead to data loss, such as your Hard Drive catching fire or exploding, then it will give you a heads up before a catastrophe happens. Well it probably wouldn't catch fire or explode, but there's potential for it.

...you'll have to get a replacement I'm afraid :( ...

Is replacing the hard rive on a dell laptop hard to do? I am a little new to this but I do know enough to get myself by. I just built a new desktop and it is running great but I am sure putting a HD in a laptop is a lot different.

this is an early warning system for HDD health. Smart monitors all sorts of variables and if some are not at good levels it works out if the HDD will die soon.

Backup your data and wait until the drive dies. If the message is annoying, just turn off SMART in the bios.

Well I have nothing to back up I tried to format the drive and it said it did successfully but when I try to reinstall windows it wont cooperate. I used partition magic to do this.

Re:

Hello,

Your Hard Drive will soon die on you...soon could be, anytime from now. SMART is alerting you of this, stating that a variable is operating outside of the tolerance levels. This could be anything, but it means that your Hard Drive is not fit to store data.

You should get your Hard Drive replaced. Your lucky you haven't put any vital data on it yet.

As for replacing the Hard Drive on your Dell Laptop, I'm not too sure. Most hard drives have some kind of screw or retention switch on the base of the laptop, that allow you to slide out the Hard Drive from the side. But this is not true with all laptops, only laptops with interchangeable bays.

I would look in your laptop manual. I should think you'd be able to obtain it from the Dell Support website.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom