memory dividers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Todd0

In Runtime
someone help me out, my ram sux, but ppl tell me i can still overclock useing memory dividers.

can someone explain this 2 me.

Lol, I remember when DJ-CHRIS helped my with this during my noob days :classic: Aah, the good 'ol days.

Ok, back on topic. You know how memory runs at 200MHz right? Well, thats the stock speed. Any higher is considered overclocking the memory. Now some memory, like Value memory, can overclock very little. That is why memory dividers were invented. They allow you to run the CPU and System Bus at higher frequencies, while the memory only runs at a fraction of that speed. For example; A 5:6 memory divider, also known as setting the DDR speed to 166MHz on some motherboard will automatically cause the memory to be underclocked to 166MHz while the HTT is at 200MHz. Basically, for every 6 MHz of the HTT, the memory will run at 5MHz. If you want to figure out the speed of the memory from the HTT, you take the HTT speed, multiply it by 5, and divide that number by 6 and you have the memory speed. This allows you to overclock your CPU without overclocking your memory. At 250HTT, the memory will be running at 208MHz with a 5:6 divider. 208MHz is an overclock that any memory can do, even value memory.

To set a memory divider, you go into the BIOS of your motherboard and either set a ratio, such as 5:6 or 2:3, or on some motherboards (like mine), you have to choose the frequency that you have to run it at. For example; a 5:6 divider would be a 166MHZ, or DDR333 memory divider. A 2:3 divider might be seen as setting the memory speed to 133MHz, or DDR266.

ok im gonna go hav a go. thanx, but im probly gonna be back in like 10 minutes afta i have screwed somethin up and cleared my bios :)

Make sure to check with CPUz to make sure your memory is running at the speed you want it to.

yep ok i set it to ddr333, and cpu-z says its at167.2 so do i just oc it now with oc guru, or should i do it in bios?

Ooh, Abit AV8 3rd-eye. I have the regular Abit AV8. Do it through the BIOS. OC Guru works, but its not preferred. Assuming you have RAM that doesn't overclock at all, you could set the HTT to 240MHZ (remember, increments of 5MHz, and press F8 after every 5MHz increment to overclock-on-the-go). A 240MHz HTT will result in a memory speed of 200MHz (stock).

ok awsome i just used oc guru by the way, while i was waiting my ram is at 196.4 and my cpu is running at 2160, if i set the memory speed down even further can i oc more? my cpu is a venice btw

Yea, if you set a 2:3 divider (DDR266) you would be able to overclock to 300MHz HTT. However, remember that the higher you take your CPU, the more voltage you have to give it. You're at 2160MHz CPU speed right now, correct? I suggest you run Prime95 Torture Test (Blend) all night and test to see if your system is atleast 8-12 hours stable. If it is, then you should overclock more, but if it fails in less than 8 hours (even 7 hours) then you need to increase the voltage to like 1.425v or 1.45v.

Also, did you set the LDT multiplier to 4x? It determines the HyperTransport Bus speed. If you didn't, go into the BIOS>Integrated Peripherals>PCI/LDT Configurations> and set the LDT multiplier to 4x. If you go past 250HTT, then you'll need to set the multiplier at 3x.

i already set my voltage to 1.6, im gonna go turn the memory back a bit more an see how i go, is temp the only thing i really need to watch while im doin this, or is there an actually limit on the speed it will reach?

Like I said, you need to change the LDT multiplier. Its not, you SHOULD change it, but you HAVE TO change it.

As far as restrictions go, yea watching temps is really important. Other than that, you need to check to see if the processor is stable at that speed. If you go too high, you might not even boot into windows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom