Interesting problem: random computer death. Any ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tantiboh

Beta member
Recently, I've been experiencing an interesting computer problem. The computer shuts off suddenly, randomly, and unexpectedly, as if the power has been cut. The only way to restart the computer is to unplug the power and replug it - the power switch is unresponsive.

This behavior occurs after uptimes as little as a few minutes and as great as a couple of days, but seems to be increasing in frequency. I haven't been able to spot any pattern. A virus scan came up clean.

The power supply is high-quality and new. I don't think it's purely a heat issue, as I've been keeping the side of the case off and all the component fans are running properly.

I work with computers for a living, but this one's got me stumped. Any ideas?

Specs:
MB: FIC AU11
Chipset: nForce 2
Processor: AthlonXP 3000+
RAM: 1GB PC3200 w/ heat spreaders
Video: Radeon 9600XT
Sign: Virgo
Preference: Boxers

"There are 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary, and those who do not."

just because the psu is new and high-quality doesnt mean it cant be defective... who made it? and how many watts? bad outlet? bad surge protecter?

I had that exact same problem. my scanner was the culprit. replacing it solved my problems. I guess the scanner was sending surges through the usb slot. I troubleshooted this for a week. I kept unplugging or taking stuff out until the problem went away

sPlAtOiD said:
I tend to think PSU also.Do you have a volt ohm meter to test it with.

I doubt that it's that.Ihad the exact same problem. I have a 100.00 500watt psu with advance protection circuity. that circuity is protecting the computer better now .when I had the old psu 25.00 580 watt psu, I was getting the BSOD. with the new psu it would automatically shut downand I would have to unplug it and let it reset itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom