New Here: What Do You Think of the Rig

Status
Not open for further replies.

TSHF

Baseband Member
I'm new here. I would like to build a new rig for gaming. I'm a Linux user. I game through Cedega so that leaves ATi out of the equation since Linux ATi drivers are disgusting. I also do alot of animation. I will be overclocking.

The specs for the rig are in my sig right below the Coming Soon. Let me know what you think. This will cost me $890 and I will not be buying HDDs as I already have them.

Is there anything you recommend I should change? BTW, what is the difference between the Lanparty nF4-D and the Lanparty nF4 Ultra-D? They have the same chipset.

If you are a gamer I would get another GIG of RAM...
Your vid card can be updated as well.
recommendations aren't my thing really, but you will see that people here will tell you to get the 7800 or whatever it is, or the 6800 Gt 256.

Your hardware all looks good, but there is one thing that I recomend you change, your Opperating System. I realize that a lot of people hate Windows and want to boycotte Microsoft, but if that isn't you reason for using Linux, I suggest that you get Windows to use in addition to Linux. That way you could use all of the brand-name games released for the PC.

That will go on my list for next year's upgrades. I want that particular gfx because it is only $164 after rebates and the best part is that unlike the PCIe 6800 vanillas, the PNY versions use the 6800GT 16 pipe core so I have a very good chance of unlocking it to full 16 pipe and 6 vertex shaders and then oc to get it close to the 6800GT.

TSHF said:
Is there anything you recommend I should change? BTW, what is the difference between the Lanparty nF4-D and the Lanparty nF4 Ultra-D? They have the same chipset.

NForce4 chipest

and the NF4ultra chipset they are different

Keyword: I said I game in Linux using Cedega. Cedega is a program for Linux that installs a DirectX API. A new instance of that API is run for every game. This allows me to play Windows games in Linux, otherwise I would still be dual-booting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom