PC dies after a few hours

Status
Not open for further replies.

Space_Coyote

In Runtime
A few weeks ago I added a new XFX 6600 256MB (dumped the GF4 4600Ti) to my old rig:

Athlon 1800
1gb Ram
350W Enermax PSU

I was ecstatic having my benchmark go from 1450 in 3DMark03 to 4500+. 3 times now though, after 4/5 hours of gaming, the monitor has gone into stand-by mode. The PC sounds like it is rebooting but nothing appears on the screen. If I turn it off and on again, it will function as normal but will quit not too long after.

I uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers and it seemed to go away for a while.

I've heard that these XFX cards don't have the best HS/fans and that they sometimes go out (esp on the 6600GT version). The fan on there is at least still working, I took off the side of the case and have a personal fan blowing in there in case heat is the problem. No problems last night with a longer WOW session but it is so inconsistent that I can't be sure.

Do you think it could be the PSU? My buddy is only running a 350W with an X800 and Athlon 3200 and has no problems, he doesn't think the PSU is an issue.

No. What is that utiltity? Everest or something? Will that work with all cards or just ones with a temp sensor?

Its more for you CPU than anything.
After it shuts off quickly turn it back on and check your temp in your Bios.

You might have the GPU temp settings in your graphic properties.

True, but I'm kind of addicted to World of Warcrack right now. 5 hour plus sessions are very common these days and I hate it crapping out in the middle of a group instance or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom