Upgrading Video cards, and its hassles

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love recommending 6600GT, but it's just going to be outdated in less than a year, that's why I'm upgrading soon.

The MSI 6600GT is exactly $1 more than the eVGA one. Here are the differences:

MSI - OpenGL 1.5
eVGA - OpenGL 2.0

MSI - S-video cable
eVGA - none

The MSI also includes these games:

URU
XIII
Prince of Persia 3D
Splinter Cell
Deus EX: Invisible War
Praetorians
Commandos 3: Destination Berlin
Black Hawk Down
YAGER
Joint Operations: Typhoon Rising
Heaven & Hell
Comanche 4
Divine Divinity
American Conquest
Etherlords2
IL-2 Sturmovik
Beach Life

And this software:
MSI Media Deluxe Center II release 2
Virtual Drive 7 Professional Version
Restore It 3 Professional Version
MSI 5.1 Channel DVD Player
Foreign Language Learning Machine
Photoshop® Album SE
3D Album SE
MSI 3D Desktop
MSI developed software (10 programs)

Some of those games were very popular when they came out. I've never played any of them, so they will keep me busy for a while.

I think it's a pretty good deal, for $1 more and OpenGL 1.5 -- most of the other 6600GT's have 1.5.

Get a 6800 vanilla its only $30 more than a 6600gt and it out preforms it. EDIT:
Just to clear things up, all of the 6x00 series only supports opengl 2.0. 1.5 is a typo on neweggs part. (or its the other way around, I don't remember).

wattage doesnt affect a psu's performance. brand does..
for example: a 300 watt brand name would outperform a 500 watt generic... it might not out perform but it sure as hell wouldnt die as fast as the generic would.. go with a good Antec one or something (preferably over 50 US bucks though)

Static_11 said:
wattage doesnt affect a psu's performance. brand does..
for example: a 300 watt brand name would outperform a 500 watt generic... it might not out perform but it sure as hell wouldnt die as fast as the generic would.. go with a good Antec one or something (preferably over 50 US bucks though)

Wattage claims are the capacity of AC that can be converted to DC by a given power supply at full load. This conversion or Input to Output is measured by efficiency. Efficiency is one of the biggest factors in the performance of a PSU. Another big factor is a PSU that can sustain solid voltages without dipping under specifications.

The brand of the PSU doesn't effect the performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom