DDR400 shows up as DDR333

Status
Not open for further replies.

lukyluke

Solid State Member
Hi,

I just installed a new PC with a Barton XP 2600+ on a Abit NF7-S.
I also installed 1 GO of PC3200 (DDR400) , for the time I will change for a CPU runing at 200Mhz FSB.
I let all parameters to their default values in BIOS, no overclock, so FSB is still at 166Mhz.

The question I have is that when the system boots, the BIOS reports DDR333, instead of DDR400.
Is this because the FSB is "only" at 166 ?
I know I could try to set 200MHz FSB and check, but I want to see how the cpu works as it is, and wait a little bit before starting to overclock it.

Thanks for helping,
Regards

you need to check and see if your bios will let you run your ram at a different speed that your cpu. What kind of mobo do you have.

if you have the AMD CPU, the fastest you can run your RAM is 333MHz, as the FSB is only 333, thats why I think the intels are so much better, as you can run your RAM up to 800MHz (or 400MHz in dual channel)

Don't listen to deathangel. He's been infected by Intel.

If you are running the FSB at 166, then your RAM will register as DDR 333. If you crank it up, it'll show that number too. For instance, if you up your FSB to 180, then it'll show up as DDR 360. If you set it to 200, then it'll show as DDR 400.

Guapo is correct, the RAM is only showing as 333MHz because your FSB is currently set to 166MHz.

-Mike

Guapo said:
Don't listen to deathangel. He's been infected by Intel.

If you are running the FSB at 166, then your RAM will register as DDR 333. If you crank it up, it'll show that number too. For instance, if you up your FSB to 180, then it'll show up as DDR 360. If you set it to 200, then it'll show as DDR 400.

i meant without overclocking, jackass

I beg to differ...

They both run at the same 200Mhz FSB. The Intel quad pumps it, while the AMD only doubles it. This means it takes Intel 4 cycles to do something compared to AMD's 2 cycles. Intel is faster, but AMD is more efficient. The end result is the same.

set your memory "by SPD". if it still shows as 333Mhz you have quality issues with the memory or you don't actually have DDR400. you can force the memory to physical FSB 200Mhz. play an instensive game to test for stability.

Thanks for your answers, I will push the FSB after checking the CPU temperature at 166 after some intensive bench.

Guapo said:
I beg to differ...

They both run at the same 200Mhz FSB. The Intel quad pumps it, while the AMD only doubles it. This means it takes Intel 4 cycles to do something compared to AMD's 2 cycles. Intel is faster, but AMD is more efficient. The end result is the same.

if thi is tru, then why can intels run at 800MHz, a speed unattainable with an AMD without overclocking it to the point that it would literally explode? o yeah, that would be beause the actual FBS of a P4C is 400MHz not 200, the new AMDs are 200MHz x 2, but the intels are not 200 x 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom