Help about this weird error! ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slam'n Systems

Veteran Techist Member
OK...I worked on a friends daughters computer before and got this error before I formatted it:

Message Confirmation
The System Case or Cover has Been Opened or Removed - Please Check the System
[ OK ]

Now I built him a brand new computer with a normal case and all parts but a few days ago that same error popped up. I got confused and suspicious since the computer we custom built by myself. Anyone know what this is? A virus, or just an odd Windows XP Professional error?:amazed:

Yep...that's what it is...case opened status in bios. Reset it, or disable. It's a feature on some mobos, that is supposed to provide security. Guess it's a good idea for a server, but not for home PC. Plus, inorder for that feature to work properly, you would need a sensor of some kind on the case.

BTW, that is an error message you can just ignore.

I have seen a little trigger on the case that is supposed to prevent people from running the computer with the case open just disable it and it should be fine

Its bloody annoying, It happened to me and It annoyed the hell outa me! I disabled it in tha bios.

This can be a great error message!!

At my place of work ,, you should see the faces of users that call with an error issue,, and when you get there,, the case opened message is on the screen,,

They sit there and look out the window ,,, and you say,, Did you take the case cover off at all??

9 times out of 10 they say "No,, I didnt touch it,, i wouldnt even know how.."

I swear that the average person looks at a PC and says,, "well,I look under the hood when my car stops,, maybe I'll do the same with the computer?"

DOH!!

Yea it can be great, but on older Dell systems, it's a known problem in their proprietary BIOS. After you open the case one time....it will keep displaying....even 2 years later! Very misleading. My 2 cents.....if you don't trust your users, then put a lock on the back on the case.

-Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom