Installing a new HDD.

Status
Not open for further replies.

woot7800GT

Daemon Poster
Alright, so a friend at school asked me if I could install a hard drive for him. I'm sure I can, but I've never done it before. What exactly does it entail? Just plug it in and install drivers? Also, he doesn't know whether he's got SATA or IDE. He says his computer's from 2002. How can I find out what interface he has without cracking the case?

not really, if its a ribbon cable is IDE. If the computer is from 2002 its most likely IDE. Is this the second HDD or a replacement?? its very easy, you don't have drivers for HDDs.

I'm not sure if it's going to be a replacement or an addition, but it's definitely not going to be RAID. Assuming it is IDE, how exactly do I install? Will windows auto-detect it?

windows should pick it up.. its pretty easy, just make sure the jumpers are in the right place when you hook it up (look on the big sticker for settings) and plug in the ribbon cable and the power cable (4 pin)

Yes, there are jumpers on the back... one should be set to master (the original), and the new one, to slave. Do you have his PC model # (presuming not self-built)? Easiest to check on their site. It might need another cable though...if say, perhaps, currently it has a CD drive and one HDD on the same cable... Hm.

Here's a semi-good explanation of all:
http://www.ehow.com/how_6030_install-second-hard.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom