• ATI

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Geforce

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Plus FPS on a console suck. You can't beat a mouse and keyboard when it comes to controll in a shooter. These new consoles may support a mouse and keyboard too, or so I've heard rumors that they might, but I'd love to see how someone uses them effectively from a couch or recliner.

Also PC's are upgradable which means that 3 years from now the PC will once again be on top graphically.

Only thing good about consoles is some of the games like GT4, MGS3 , and Tekken. Also it's sometimes nice to lounge on the couch playing GTA instead of sitting at a desk.

j4ckaL said:
3 years from now the PC will once again be on top graphically.

Far less than that, more like 12 months I would say.

One other quite important thing: there is no mod community for the console scene. Even for a hobbyist mapper like myself, you have to love the PC game for it's customisation and expandability (or at least most PC games). Thank God that whole buisness about that crazy GTA:SA mod didn't ruin it for the rest of us...

j4ckaL said:
Plus FPS on a console suck. You can't beat a mouse and keyboard when it comes to controll in a shooter. These new consoles may support a mouse and keyboard too, or so I've heard rumors that they might, but I'd love to see how someone uses them effectively from a couch or recliner.

Also PC's are upgradable which means that 3 years from now the PC will once again be on top graphically.

Only thing good about consoles is some of the games like GT4, MGS3 , and Tekken. Also it's sometimes nice to lounge on the couch playing GTA instead of sitting at a desk.

@ The first paragraph; You're talking about the old consoles, like the PS2 and Xbox. You have to understand, these new ones are way stronger than anything else out there. To compare; a PS2 uses a Pentium III processor, I think. This was comparable to the PCs that came out at the time, and both game systems would have gotten the same FPS. But its going to take quite a while for PCs to get up to PS3 specs. Don't worry, the FPS on the PS3 will be unlike anything you've seen before (well, it might be 10x better graphics running at 100fps...but w/e, technicality).

Though I agree with the mouse/keyboard thing. Those two are MUCH better than a controller. I own with my MX518, but when I use my friend's controller in KillZone, my accuracy sucks ultimate ****.

Flanker said:
@ The first paragraph; You're talking about the old consoles, like the PS2 and Xbox. You have to understand, these new ones are way stronger than anything else out there. To compare; a PS2 uses a Pentium III processor, I think. This was comparable to the PCs that came out at the time, and both game systems would have gotten the same FPS. But its going to take quite a while for PCs to get up to PS3 specs. Don't worry, the FPS on the PS3 will be unlike anything you've seen before (well, it might be 10x better graphics running at 100fps...but w/e, technicality).

Though I agree with the mouse/keyboard thing. Those two are MUCH better than a controller. I own with my MX518, but when I use my friend's controller in KillZone, my accuracy sucks ultimate ****.
lol, no I didn't mean frames per second I was talking about first person shooters. First person shooters on consoles suck becuase of the lack of control a controller gives you over your aiming.

Ok heres next set of questions, is console gaming cheaper than pc gaming over a period of time and also my friends like my console is better than your pc. I was like ask me that when u get it. Guarentee hes spent ATLEAST $1,000 on consoles and says he hates pc csaue of controls. Im like well thats sad, not that hard to get use to....

Flanker said:
Lol yea dude, the Playstation 3 owns you.

Thing is, with these consoles, theres been a HUGE change in the way people look at game consoles. Before, when consoles like the PS2 came out, they would be only slightly better than a mediocre PC at the time. But now; the PS3 and XBox360 will put ANY system out there to shame. Even a 4GHz Athlon 64, with 4GB RAM (all utilized) with Dual 7800GTXs won't be able to compete with either of the new consoles. See what a big thing this is?

Before this, the case was that you could build a PC that was better than the console. The justification was that the PC would perform better and that most games that come out on PS2 or Xbox would also come out for PC (that was my justification, atleast). But now, the PC WON'T perform better. To boot...A top-of-the-line PC would cost like $3000, or $2000 if you're an overclocker. To compare, a REGULAR Xbox360 will cost $300 upon release (The Deluxe is $400). And the PS3 will cost around there (I haven't been keeping up). Compare the prices and you have your answer.

I have never bought a game console before, but now I might buy both the Xbox360 AND a Playstation 3.

I heard the ATi graphics card in the Xbox 360 had 32 pp, and the Nvidia card in the PS3 is like 3 times more powerful than the ATi one..

Eh, I haven't been keeping up, so I dunno, I might research later.

As for cheaper; A PS3 @ $350 will own a PC at $3000.

Since regular Athlon 64s are only good for gaming, is it safe to say that the PS3 is the Athlon killer? :p

It will be like it always is; when the new consoles first come out, they will have an edge over PCs for several months or so. But the thing with the consoles, is that they can never be upgraded, where as new parts for the PC come out almost every month. Take the upcoming PhysX card for example, which will be a hardware physics processor that will only be for PCs. Here are some demonstration videos of it:
http://www.airtightgames.com/currentproject.html
Also, with ATI releasing the X1800XT, nvidia will now have to start thinking of new video cards to oneup ATI, and then ATI will have to do the same, and they result is even more powerful graphics cards. I am going to bet that 75% of the CPU power in the PS3 will go into physics processing, where as PCs will have a card for the sole purpose of processing physics. Think about it, all that CPU power sure is nice, but a CPU can't process graphics, now can it? And graphics are what make the game look good. If I am not mistaken, the video card being used in the PS3 is going to be the R500 or something like that, which will be nice no doubt; however what happens when ATI releases the R580 (which is rumored to sport 48 pipes) and the consoles are non upgradeable? Also, you can count on nvidia being hard at work as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom