Hard drive dieing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is what im talking about in terms of fragmentation :). Tell me if you've ever seen worse.

As for RAID I did indeed mean RAID 0, data striping. What I'm thinking is that if my drivse are just fragmented and not actually damaged, should I risk RAID 0 for the performance boost? Or are there way too many risks involved in doing RAID 0?

Attachments

• omfgfragged2.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 26
doing anything especially raid 0 , where if one hd corrupts or is lost you lose it all, in my opinion is not a good idea. Do it right , in the long run you will be glad you did. You said that you can not defrag your HDs...if that is so. you have to find out why.
click on start / settings / control panel / admin tools / event viewer
then click on system, this is your system log...are there errors ?

Well that's a whole new "spin" on the subject (no pun intended!!). 10k dirves are noisy.....esp. Seagate drives. Just back up your data and forget about it..I doubt you have a problem. I inferred that the noise was really loud.

About defragging, the hard drives are so fragmented when i hit defrag it tries for a few minutes then says it can't. So I think the best way to get around this is probably a reformat.

It does, I tried clearing up over 15% space but it says its too fragmented, so then i gave up and filled the space back up. Reformats my only option I think.

How does a drive get fragmented like that? Im the only one on this computer and I'm not right click deleting programs or anything. Do they just get fragmented after you move files around, delete files and such after time?

Mr_Threepwood said:
Do they just get fragmented after you move files around, delete files and such after time?

That's exactly how they get fragmented. Installing/deleting a lot fragments files pretty bad and so does moving large files from place to place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom