Run DOS based program on W2KPro

Status
Not open for further replies.

sweetleaf

Solid State Member
I have a program called File Express that I used as an inventory database at a couple of my previous jobs. I do not have the original media that the program was on, but do have a copy (not pirated,just backup disk I made JIC). It is a DOS based program. I have set this up on a W2K Pro machine before but has been so long ago that I do not remember how I did it. Can anyone help with this?
I can set up the database just like I need it, but when I try to enter records and save - nothing. It should save and move forward to next screen for entry. If I exit the program and restart, I cannot pull up the records just entered- goes to the windows directory where program is stored but doesn't open.
Thanks.

do you have the needed access rights to create/update information in the directory it uses?

I am the administrator account - so I believe I have the access rights. The program came in a .zip file, and I know longer have the original file, could that be part of the problem - all I have is the unzipped version?

I thought that you couldn't run dos based programs on the nt file system. is that right or wrong?

EricB - you can't use dos to access the file system. There is a Dos emulation that runs on the OS which allows you to run the programs. If you boot to dos, then you can't see the FS. if you run a dos based program from the OS, you should be able to do the same as if it were a dos boot.

File Express is a flat file database program. The only way that it would have a problem is if it can't find the information, ie where it's housed. I was ablt to download a copy from a site, and it seems that the installer doesn't work very well. Which is known to happen with old installer routines. I'm looking at it now and will let you know if I can find anymore out for you.

I dont know if this has been stated yet because i dont wanan read through everything but. Correct me if im wrong but cant u run dos based programs through the command shell
so goto start > run > then use cd to find the dir that the fileyouwanttorun.exe is located then jsut type in the full name oif the file u wanna run

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom