GUI doesn't load

Status
Not open for further replies.

msaunders

Solid State Member
Hi All,

I'm trying to troubleshoot an IBM system that doesn't load the Graphical User INterface. It's running windows XP Pro, and the user says it has a virus. I am able to run a sophos scan in Safe Mode with command prompt, and it says it doesn't detect any virus. When it boots to normal mode, it just has the desktop background pic, nothing else, no icons or task bar, but I am able to run programs through task manager(Ctrl, Alt, Del). I ran Internet Explorer and downloaded AVG anti-virus and did a scan, still nothing, no viruses. What's causing the GUI from running, is there a certain file that should be checked or what. Any ideas on how to fix this ?

Whatever the machine has is affecting explorer.exe
You can bring up the gui by ctrl, alt ,del then clicking new task and typing explorer.exe

You should really load the machine into safemode w/networking
and download and install HighJackThis.

you can scan the machine and post in the analyze section of the spyware thread.

The Explorer.exe is not funtioning correctly. Sorry I cannot say more.

I'd recommend you run a repair with the XP CD.

Tyler is correct in saying that your explorer.exe is acting up, like my above post... however if you run the repair right now your virus or whatever you might have will still be there. It might act right for a day or so but it will revert back once the mal code grabs ahold again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom