1 Kilowatt PSU

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pointless...most computer hardware is becoming more energy efficent than previous generations

gaara said:
Pointless...most computer hardware is becoming more energy efficent than previous generations

PSU's effeciency isn't pointless because it has absolutely nothing to do with the other hardware in your PC. Greater efficiency means a lower electric bill because more of the AC power is converted into DC for the computer, rather than wasted as heat. The savings can really add up over time. For example, when the money saved in electricity over the course of its 5-year warranty is taken into account, the efficient, Turbo-Cool 850 SSI is no more expensive than a standard unit such as the Antec True Power 550.

Turbo-Cool 850 SSI (E) 81.9% @ 550w INPUT POWER 672watts
Antec Truepower 550 (E) 73.8% @ 550w INPUT POWER 745watts

5-year savings = .073KW x $0.10/KWH x 24 x 365 x 5 = $319.74

It isn't pointless to have the highest efficiency PSU. Unless you aren't paying the electric bill over the next 5 years. Then let mom and dad foot the bill who cares right? LOL

Wow you really can misunderstand a person....I wasn't referring to efficency, I was talking about the overall power supply...I don't care if it saves me $5 a month on electric bills...what are the chances a PSU lasts you 5 years anyways?

You really think 5 years down the road ATX is still going to be the industry standard...you're gonna need to ditch a PSU you will never ever be able to fully utilize...all I'm saying is you're paying big money for unneeded output and features

Well, sorry if I misunderstood your post, but think about it this way.

You're not paying big money for unneeded output. You're paying big money for it's efficiency, 5 year warranty, extremely highend internal components, great tech support and simply the most solid PSU you can get your hands on.

The Turbo-Cool 850 & 1KW aren't ATX PSU's they are EPS12V, SLI, and SSI Compatible. And I do believe that these PSU's will last more then 5 years. If they don't last with-in 5 years, you contact PCP&C and they send you a replacement. That's with-in their 5 year warranty. Obviously there are some requirements that must be met.

If you pay $489 for a 850w Turbo-Cool PSU that is close to 85% effecient, you wil save almost $320 in 5 years. A higher quality standard ATX PSU will cost you about $150+ dollars. Now add in the lack of efficiency compared to the 850w turbo cool. In 5 years the cost of the standard ATX PSU + the cost of electricity = pretty darn close to the cost of the Turbo-Cool 850w or the 1KW. You're saying that you can't compare it to an ATX PSU because you don't think ATX PSU's will be around in 5 years? Still even if they aren't will the next gen. PSU's still be the same price? Probably not. They'll be more. And will they be as efficient? May-be. Aren't you leaving a lot up to chance though?

For Now, call me stupid, but i'd much rather invest my money into a product that is top of the line and will be solid for many years to come. Then spend $150 on a PSU then pay the "UI" company my $320 over the next 5 years. Why give your money to someone else when you can keep it for yourself.

I guess not too many people think about things like this.

Not to sound rude, but not many ppl care. Like its always said on these forums that the majority is little kids that still live w/ thier parents. I lie w/ my parents and run a very cheap POS PSU and dont care. Im sure alot will agree w/ me. Also, money in your pocket now is better than money you will gradualy get in your pocket later.

P.P. Mguire said:
Not to sound rude, but not many ppl care. Like its always said on these forums that the majority is little kids that still live w/ thier parents. I lie w/ my parents and run a very cheap POS PSU and dont care. Im sure alot will agree w/ me. Also, money in your pocket now is better than money you will gradualy get in your pocket later.

It's not rude. It's obvious people don't care.

It's more money in your pocket now, if your a kid. But, it's less money in your pocket later for your parents or an adult. "Kid's have the best lives." Enjoy your lives now kids. Because it's eventually going to get much, much harder. One day, you might even think like I do about saving money.

Unlike other people, I do care. I'm not a little kid anymore and haven't lived with my parents for many, many years. What I have is what i've worked darn hard for. And i'll be darned if i'm going to just give my money away to someone else, when there are ways I can keep more of it for myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom