Intel P-4 (3.0Ghz), Slowest One

Status
Not open for further replies.

farrukhonline

Beta member
Hi,
I just joined this site. I have a problem regarding my system.
I just bought: Board Intel D915-GAV with Hyper Threading Technology. Intel Original Processor 3.0 Ghz with 1 Mb L2 cache. Kingston DDR 512 Mb and 80 Gb SATA hard drive.
My computer is connected to a LAN network of 6 computers. I always have a problem of system slow down. When i install fresh windows, it works well for 2 days and then my system again starts lagging. Imagine even it cann't play songs or movies, games become slow--slower---slowest. I also Defragmented my hard drive but nothing.
I tried to resolve that problem by disabling the network but the problem is still there. Can any one help me out?
Thanks

hmm...do you have plenty of airflow cooling the P4? latest MB bios? I'm not really sure what your problem is, but those might be some good places to start... good luck

it shouldn't be the chip...i have the exact same one and it runs as good and fast as the day i got it....check and make sure that you're not somehow collecting spyware, and also see how many programs you have running in the background... if it's none of these problems then it might be somthing to do with the OS install.. if it is spyware then get a program called SpyBot Search and Destory.....if it's programs then open MS config by typing Msconfig in the run command then go to the startup tap and uncheck everything u don't want running on startup

yea, that's true. if you're connected to a network, it's a good possibility someone else on the network has spyware/virus that is sneaking its way over to your computer. have the other people ont he network scan their computers too

my setup

I use a network at home as well.
The things I have always kept an eye on:
1) hardware. tempuratures - cpu, gpu, chipset usually this is as easy as having a good (and quiet) case fan.
2) software. Anti-virus is a must www.free-av.com
I recommend it to everyone because they update it mutiple times per day - free for personal use.
Anti-spyware in the network situation especially, you need this. Scan weekly. AdAware is a popular one, and the microsoft one aparently works too.
3) firewall. firewall your computer from the rest of the network to prevent internal spreading of evil software, not just for exernal hack prevention. the winXP one works fine, and SELinux (security enhanced linux) is even better. A hareware firewall such as an old computer running a light-weight OS can also be set up to block advertising servers.

Yes i am going to check my PC with ANti Spy softwares. But i did one thing else that i enabled and disabled Hyper Threading from BIOS and i checked that the system speed remains the same. I think that some spy is in the board memory, i mean to say in BIOS (may be). There is no heating in my PC and temperature is always normal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom