Windows 98 Installation

Status
Not open for further replies.

subdivizion

Banned
hi.
i have a windows 2000 pro disk provided by my university but it's an upgrade. this means i have to install win98 first and then upgrade. however, my win98 disk is from Dell(that's the old PC) and when i boot from the disk, it says it only supports Dell pc's. understandable. what i want to do is extract the necessary files to install windows 98, put them on CD and startup with that. does anybody know which files are needed and how i'd make the new CD bootable? appreciated.

Did Microsoft ever sell an "upgrade" verison of Win2K???
Are you sure that the disk that you have for Win2k isn't the full install? It would be funny for a university to assume that a student already had a PC with a valid OS and then just hand out upgrades. If you have the full version, I can walk you through installing it without Win98. Microsoft doesn't even recommend that you go from 98 to win2k. A fresh install is always better. Since you are already at a point where you do not have an OS yet, then installing Win2k from the get-go would be the best path here.

-Mike

i'm stupid. i'm dumb. it IS the full version, it just wasn't the right CD. forget it. sorry to waste your time guys... :)

Ahhh. We have nothing better to do, while we're on here. Never a waste of time. :)

mikesgroovin said:
Did Microsoft ever sell an "upgrade" verison of Win2K???
Are you sure that the disk that you have for Win2k isn't the full install? It would be funny for a university to assume that a student already had a PC with a valid OS and then just hand out upgrades. If you have the full version, I can walk you through installing it without Win98. Microsoft doesn't even recommend that you go from 98 to win2k. A fresh install is always better. Since you are already at a point where you do not have an OS yet, then installing Win2k from the get-go would be the best path here.

-Mike

Yep there sure is a Win2K upgrade available as we have both the full version and upgrade version at work. What I usually do when another technician has the Win2k full version disk is use the Win2k upgrade disk (exactly the same as full version just one more step added). What you do is boot from the Win2k Upgrade disk and run setup the way you would the full version. It will then get to a point where it says please insert a Windows NT,95,98 or lower version of Windows Disk inside the CD-ROM drive and hit enter. I then put the Windows 98 CD in the drive it verifys then it asks for the 2k CD again and you are done with 98. This saves the time of having to do 2 OS installs (installing 98 then upgrading 98 to win2k). Always better to do a clean install of any OS than upgrading.:D

Well I think it hardly makes sense to me that they should have a UPGRADE from WIN98 to Win 2K..... does that actually make any sense...

Well, I suppose that this kind of makes sense. Microsoft needed to come out with another solution to actively get clients within a corporation to upgrade to 2000 since they are sunsetting normal support for Win98 pretty soon. I know for a fact that M$ recommends a fresh install of 2000 from a 98 client, but for companies with end-users without an in-house IT department, this makes a little sense.

-Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom