Computer Restarts When I Touch It

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harper

"I FEEL SO GOOD I FEEL SO NUMB, YEAH!!!"
I got a computer here that is acting strangely.

It's a fresh install of Windows XP Pro as the previous one got corrupt (Not Sure How.)

I was in the middle of installing XPSP2 when I desided that I will test some monitors off this box. A plug a monitor in this computer, and then the computer restarts inself.

At the time, I thought that I was must of bumped some thing to cause the computer to restart.

Anyways, finish installing every thing. I started a burn in process with SANDA 2005. I put the side panel back on to the computer. Just as I did, the computer started itself.

Looking at the system, I come the conclusion that the person that own this computer did upgrade it once.
Firstly there was the slower optical drives that where a dead give away.
Secondly, the computer is running an Aopen ATX 250 Watt Power Supply with a Molex to 4 Pin CPU Power Cable Converter.

The computer is a P-IV 2.8, 512Mb Ram, Gigabyte All-In-One Motherboard, Windows Xp SP 2

I am trying to work out why this computer is restarting itself.
And only when it seems to be me touching it. (I know it's not my personality.)

I am thinking there MIGHT be some thing up with the Power Supply? However I am open for other suggestions.

Thats what I think also.You can also check the screws that hold the motherboard in to see if they have the washers.You can also slip a antistatic bag under the mobo and boot it and knock it around a little to see if it reboots.

A PC at work had the same problem. Whenever I would try to plug a USB thumb drive into the front panel USB ports, as soon as the metal touched metal, the PC would restart. I never actually found out what was causing this, but I did find a way to stop it from happening. When ever I need to plug in my Thumbdrive, I would tough it to another piece of metal first. I guess because I always kept it in my pocket, it built up static electricity. I could actually see the electricity discharging on the front panel USB connecter and the other metal that I touched it to. I tried it several times both ways and if I didn't discharge the S.E it would restart.

Now, you're situation is a bit different, but i'm willing to bet that these other guys are on the right track. There could be a short somewhere. It's probably shorted to your case. When you tough it, the S.E is discharged and I'm guessing PC's don't like that too much.

Could be? But, i'm not 100% sure.

I would set aside like an hour or so and just completely break the whole PC down, clean out the case really good and rebuild it. Just for a safe measure.

I am going to check for shorts.

However the other problem that I do see is that I think the computer is over heating.

I found that when the computer is idling, the CPU temp is 48*C.
Turn out that the ( f**king retarded) computer tech* that put this computer together does not beleave in Thermal Paste.
After putting Thermal Paste and Cleaning out the CPU fan with some Canned O2, I now have the idel temp down to 43*C.

The case is an old Aopen Case that as bugger all spots for installing fans. I am going to see how much this guy's wallet can go as I do feel the need to put in a side panel case fan in. And replace the power supply with one of those newer ones with an internal fan.

* No. The computer tech does not work for me.

apokalipse said:
does it restart all the time now that you put on thermal paste?
I have not seen it restart now.

But after arguing with my Boss (who thinks that side panel case fan are nothing more than decoration), I have install a newer power supply with a one of those internal fans to just take the air out of the case.

I am currently running SiS Sandra, and under load it has reduces all the temperatures down for the case.

Personally I would rather I cut a hole in the side panel to encourage some air flow. However my boss thinks that side panel case fan are nothing more than decoration. :shakeshead:

apokalipse said:
another fan over the CPU can help a lot. it does on my system
My boss has this thing against modding. Even when it's suppose to benefit the running of the PC. :rolleyes:

PC Modding is not just all Wankware and Flashy Lights. :mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom