New problems with old hardware...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stryker

Baseband Member
Hey, all. I've had my current system for quite a while now and I'm planning on upgrading to Socket 939 and PCI Express around Christmas time.

I've already purchased a few new parts that I'll certainly be using in the new system; I've got an Antec P180 with a brand-new NeoHE 500w power supply and a nice Sunbeam 21-in-1 panel to serve a number of different functions in the front. Rather than let my current system swelter and suffer in its old generic Foxconn case with some old generic Casedge power supply, I did a transplant of the components into the P180 and hooked everything up to the new power supply. Since the transplant, here's the setup:

Antec P180
Antec NeoHE 500w Power Supply
Athlon XP 2800+ w/stock cooler
ASUS A7V8X-X Socket A mobo
512mb generic PC2700 memory
Western Digital Caviar SE 80gb HD
Sound Blast Live! Audigy LS
Gigabyte Radeon 9600 XT

So, yeah, I think it's pretty obvious that an upgrade is in order considering how long I've made due with all of the above. I've even managed to squeeze out decent performance from new games like HL2 and Doom 3, but it's definitely time to make another upgrade to last me for a while.

But anyway, back to the issues at hand. Here's the problem - now that I've transfered the guts to the P180 and the new power supply, my monitor won't display anything when I turn on the computer. Everything looks to be in working order and I'm 100% positive that I connected everything correctly on the motherboard (with one like I've got, it's pretty hard to goof up). I had this same problem once before when the guts were in the old Foxconn case, but it went away after a reset - now it looks like it's here to stay, and I'm lost.

Now, I know what you're thinking - the video card's bad, right? Nope. I went out and snagged an nearly-identical one from Circuit City and I'm still getting the same issue. I had a technician tell me a while back that my motherboard may have been damaged because of the terrible ventilation of my cruddy old Foxconn case - which it did, and my room back home is scorching hot almost all the time. I guess I didn't want to believe him...could the reason why I'm not getting any display be related to the motherboard at all? I'm lost, and there's a LAN Party coming up here soon that I wanted to go to. Help me, oh gurus! :eek:

So it sounds like you know something about computers but ill ask anyway.Did you try to start in safe mode,does your computer go through all of the boot sequance and are you sure your monitor is good.Is the lite on the monitor green or yellow.If its sounds like its booting up all the way then it wouldnt likely be the motherboard.

uhhh check for twistties?

<tick|away> after 3 damn hours of swearing, it finally works <DaveJerden> so what was wrong with it? <tick|away> think there was something under the motherboard in the case causing a short <DaveJerden> what was the something? <tick|away> twisttie

Ok seriously try pluging your old power supply into the motherboard. Plug in that little case speaker that everyone unplugs and see if it beeps.

When you turn on the pc does the indicator lamp on the front of the monitor go from yellow to green or does it stay yellow?

It stays yellow. Well, it's more like orange, actually, to be particular. It's a 17 inch LiquidVideo LCD. I got it for Christmas a few years back after my old CRT started to do crazy, crazy things with the display and I don't think it's under a warranty any longer. And even if it was...I really haven't ever heard of LiquidVideo. Do you think the monitor's gone bad already? :(

The P180 doesn't have a speaker so I can't hear the beeps, and the old generic power supply is back home. I'm up at college now and don't really feel like heading back to get it.

Try the simple solution... unplug both ends of your video cable and plug 'em back in.

Before you try to replace your monitor, try replacing your video cable with a borrowed one, as that could be the whole problem.

I already tried the simple solution, believe me. Didn't work. I went out and grabbed a replacement video card from Circuit City to see if the video card was bad. I got the same result; nothing displaying.

And yeah, I know...I should really buy a speaker. Why Antec decided to not include it is beyond me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom