computer wont post

Status
Not open for further replies.

HackThePlanet

Baseband Member
I have built about 4 computers now with no problems. SO i just finished building myslf a new gaming rig, and i am having startup/post issues.
Soyo PEI865 Dragon2 V1.0 mobo
Intel P4 3.0 Ghz Extreme Edition 800Mhz FSB
2Ghz OCZ Gold Edition DDR400 - (2) dual channel kits (4x512)
Cooler Master 450 watt PSU
160 Gb Seagate HDD
etc...
The system powers up no problem, my PSU power meter shows that all is well, however, i get no video. I DO get a beep code, it is 2 short beeps very close together, followed by 6 short beeps with space in between. Please help, i cannot find this beep code anywhere online (I believe that the mobo runs on AMI Bios, but not certain)
thanks!

What kind of video card do you have? Try reseting the bios and reseating the video card. Verify that all cards and RAM etc... are in. Reseat it all. Post results.

Go to the Sony website or drop Sony a line and ask them about the beep code. If they didn't put it in the manual/documentation, then that's where you go.

Could be a number of things, from an unseated card, to improperly-set jumpers, power, etc...

new update

Well, to update everybody on a couple of things. I e-mailed Soyo about 2 days ago with my problem, and the slow bastards still havn't responded.
I tried messing around with some things to troubleshoot. BTW, i have a Geforce FX5500. I tried unplugging the video card altogether to see if that would cause my system to stop making the same beep code, but it still made the same one. So i then unplugged my ram. Sure enough, the beep codes disappeared upon power on, but still no post. So this makes me wonder, could it be the ram, but it is brand new, quite expensive ram, so why would it just magically be bad?

Sounds like either something's popped, or something still isn't seated right.

I'm surprised Sony hasn't responded to you yet. Call them.

What do you mean by something popped? Also, the only jumper on my mobo is the bios jumper and the ir jumper, which makes it easy to rule out that the jumpers arent set right

HackThePlanet said:
What do you mean by something popped? Also, the only jumper on my mobo is the bios jumper and the ir jumper, which makes it easy to rule out that the jumpers arent set right
Well if nothing's out of seat, and everything is compatible, and you have the right power and everything, and when you turn it on it just sits there....it's dead.

So either it's dead (ie - popped, something burned out, etc), or it's one of those other things.

i went on a different forum and somebody told me to build the system up barebones, and report back. I understand how this could help, but what should i build on the barebone. Should i just do the mobo, processor, ram, and psu? or??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom