does anybody underclock for cooling?

Status
Not open for further replies.
nubius.. befor i underclocked it, it stayed around 125F at max load, while underclocked it is usually aroun 90-95F at max, idle was at about 110, now idle is around 85F while underclocked

Yeah, why don't you turn your computer off, lets it rest, lol. Besides it cant get spyware or viruses, hackers if its off. And windows needs to be restarted everyday, to run at optimum proformance.

About the only time that i have underclock was because the motherboard was not going to support the CPU at proper speed.
Eg. I got a Duron 1300 that I have to under clock to 1000 just so it could boot from my older motherboard. Slower speed, but it beat throwing out working parts.

If cooling was a issue, then I would installing some case fans or replacing the HSF.

Ha, I can't leave my computer on. My roomate 'female dogs' at me cause the lights and fans were keeping him up... what a load of dung...

Ryan

Um, simply overclocking DOES affect the temps as far as I know (when I underclock, my temps go pretty low, and I don't change the voltage).

Also, anyone heard of Cool'n'Quiet?

Me too

I downclocked a 1.7ghz to 800mhz to use it in a media center where watercooling wasn't feasible. Same thing, only hear HDD and PSU noise.

but as far as noise goes, ask anyone who owns a geForce 5800 - oh wait they cant hear you anyways, nevermind.

lol... i dont know how someone could halve the speed of a 3000+ A64 to like 900mhz or 1.0ghz while they were trying to game.

I did some testing on one of my other systems where the cpu multiplier will actually apply itself. At 1ghz with an x700pro at default speed, that thing got torn up in sandra by a 100MHz FSB P3 @ 950mhz.

'nough said

Voltage is the primary factor affecting system temperatures, as increasing voltage is increasing resistance and thus overall heat output

Dunno why this was brought back though as it's about a year old

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom