help please

Status
Not open for further replies.

GuitarFreak1857

Fully Optimized
okay, i just built a computer, i booted it up and i got 4 LED red lights on my mobo. whats this mean? i'm getting no signal throuigh the monitor. DFI Lanparty UT nF4 Ultra-D and my GPU is a eVGA GeForce 7800GTX

heh, no problem ;) Anyhow, those LED's on the MBD indicate the boot process. As each process is complete, one of the lights goes out. When all lights are out then the boot process is handed over to the o/s. Sounds like you're problem, then, is at the very beginning of the boot process. The first part is the cpu initialization (a series of clock ticks). I'm guessing either the CPU of the BIOS is the problem. It goes like this in the process(I'm not sure when the LED's go out, but it stands to reason this is probably close):

1. CPU initializes (clock ticks generated by the CPU). It then looks at the systems ROM BIOS for the first set of instructions.(LED one????)

2.POST starts by checking the bios chip and CMOS RAM, or battery failure. (LED 2????)

3.Then initializes the CPU, check hardware devices (such as the video card), hard drives and floppy drives, ports and other hardware devices, such as the keyboard and mouse, to ensure they are functioning properly. (LED 3???)

4.BIOS looks to the CMOS chip to tell it where to find the OS and then loads/starts the os and hands matters over to it. (LED 4???)

As each one of these 4 are done a light should go out. Since it did not have ANY lights go out, I can only assume it is stuck on number one and I am also assuming that LED 1 is infact doing what I wrote in the above section. Regardless, it should be close. Only difference being that some of the instructions may be included in the next LED or vice versa, but overall thats the process and what those LED's are for.

try reseating the CPU and check it for bent pins, depending on where the cut off is between LED lights, may want to try running with one mem module then the other (if you have two) to ensure memory is okay. Considering the boot process, I dont think memory is the problem but again, I dont know exactly where one LED test ends and the next begins. Also, try clearing nvram via jumper. Do you get any screen at all?? Another big thing, make sure you have the correct amount of thermal paste on. Not to much, not to little. It may also be a grounding problem. Try running with the MBD out of the case (on an insulted platform, preferably... as an example, do NOT try this on say... the carpet). This will make sure some piece of metal, like a mounting screw, isn't touching metal to metal on the case or something and shorting out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom