Please! Help Hard Drive Problem...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ibriain

Solid State Member
Hi I just recently bought a Harddrive from Frys electronics a

Seagate 300GB Serial ATA

My motherboard dosen't support Serial ATA so I bought a Serial ATA adpater also, anyways the first 2 weeks the hard drive worked perfectly fine, but after a couple of weeks my hard drive starts to freeze my computer. When I decide to go into it. Like it totally freezes the computer then 5 or 4 mins later it works again, then it freezes until i decide to get out of there.

I went to frys and they told me its probably because your motherboard can't handle 300GB Hard drive is this true?

I own a

1.7Ghz
512 SDram

currently using 80GB Ultra ATA hard drive.

Please help. =[

You cannot run Serial ATA to usb!!!!! Sata, at the present time must be Modo direct or cabled via a PCI SATA controller. The solution is a motherboard with on-board SATA interface. With the adapter, your Cmos recognizes the drive. Since you have it connected to a PCI SATA card you have an inherent transfer rate/bandwidth issue here and not dirve size. The problem with these cards, not being mobo integrated, is that they suck up a whole bunch of bandwidth and if the data transter is too big your Sata drive lags and then hangs up. Again, it's not the size of the drive that is the problem but the PCI cards transfer rate. New mobo dude!

Edit: You buy a new mobo and the 300 gig SATA becomes your primary master and your puter will speed up a bit!!!

Edit #2: What pin configuration on the 1.7 gig cPU. Intel or AMD? Becasue if it's an older CPU it might be a little harder to find a board with SATA. Post the CPU and pin config. anbd I'll find out for you.

thank you!!!

thank you!!!

I have

Intel p4 1.7 Ghz

and currently using a 80gb ultra ATA

can I run a serial ata and ultra ata on a Serial ata motherboard?

please hurry =]

thank you!!!

thank you!!!

I have

Intel p4 1.7 Ghz

and currently using a 80gb ultra ATA

can I run a serial ata and ultra ata on a Serial ata motherboard?

please hurry =]

Rico where did he say it was SATA to USB ? It is more than likely a sata to pata adapters , they also do make sata to usb, I think it would work for a secondary drive. Even if your bios supports booting from a usb drive the HAL in win xp will not allow it because usb resets everytime a device is inserted and if xp is doing a page op and the usb bus is reset, not good, i think win 98 can boot from usb.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom