Problem w/NIC installation...

Status
Not open for further replies.

smttysmth02gt

Beta member
Ok...here's the situation...

I install pc based cash register systems. I recently went to an installation where the sw co. wanted me to install another NIC along w/the onboard NIC for this reason: All drives for the 2 registers and back office pc must be mapped, and the program kept locking up on the cashiers, so this is their solution. The back office pc must have inet access, so they said that by doing this, it would correct the problem. How??? I have no clue. So...I installed the PCI NIC, put the router on it and it saw the network fine. The onboard NIC is supposed to be for inet, so I had the DSL modem hooked into it. Here's the problem, I can't get online unless I disable the network connection for the router, hence not letting the pc's in the private network communicate. So, it seems it's one or the other on this system. I have a few theories as to why this is happening. One of which is this is an XP Home machine, while the 2 pc registers are XP Pro. I'm not sure if XP Home is even capable of multiple network connections. Could someone fill me in on this and help me out? Thanks in advance.

I didn't follow that too well but...

I believe XP home cannot share an internet connection with other computers. It should be able to deal with multiple network connections, although i doubt it can bridge them - for the same reasons it cannot share an internet connection.

You can solve the problem with an inexpensive network hub. Both devices can then share the same network port in XP.

Check it out: http://www.bizrate.com/buy/products__att259--219736-,cat_id--494.html

You cannot enable the onbaord NIC and the PCI NIC at the same time...you would have an unresolveable IRQ conflict otherwise. the hub is the answer. Your internet modem and other device then are pluged into the hub and the hub to your onboard NIC or PCI Nic which ever is currently enabled.

RicoDirenzo said:
You can solve the problem with an inexpensive network hub. Both devices can then share the same network port in XP.

Check it out: http://www.bizrate.com/buy/products__att259--219736-,cat_id--494.html

You cannot enable the onbaord NIC and the PCI NIC at the same time...you would have an unresolveable IRQ conflict otherwise. the hub is the answer. Your internet modem and other device then are pluged into the hub and the hub to your onboard NIC or PCI Nic which ever is currently enabled.

There was an old farmer who had a dog....

What was his name?

Um...I know for a fact that you can have 2 NIC's enabled at the same time. The thing I was wondering about is actually the limitations of Home vs Pro for networking situations like this. I got a switch in place of the router and reconfigured everything. It seems to be alright, but the whole deal was to have 3 pc's on a private network, w/out inet access and the one pc w/the 2 NIC's to have one dedicated to inet access.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom