wow, just wow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Merkwürdigeliebe

Benevolent Cake Despot
edit:hmmm, think this news might be a bit old to some of you, but for others, if you didn't know....

Kudos to ATI!

r520_ghz.png

ATI's Radeon® X1800 XT Breaks 1 GHz Speed Barrier

Finnish over-clockers make world GPU history

PORI, Finland--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Oct. 26, 2005-- An independent team of Finnish over-clockers has made world history by over-clocking a graphics processor to engine clock levels above 1 GHz. The record was set on the recently-announced Radeon® X1800 XT graphics processor from ATI Technologies Inc. (TSX:ATY)(NASDAQ:ATYT).

Noted Finnish over-clockers Sampsa Kurri and Ville Suvanto achieved graphics engine clocks of 1.003 GHz and a memory speed of 1.881 GHz (940.50 MHz DDR (dual data-rate) memory clocks) with maximum system stability and no visual artifacts.

The team, optimistic that higher speeds could ultimately be achieved with the Radeon X1800 XT, attained the record speeds using a custom-built liquid nitrogen cooling system that cooled the graphics processor to minus-80 degrees Celsius. "We're just warming up," joked Kurri. "But we believe that the Radeon X1800 XT has even more over-clocking headroom, and in the coming weeks we expect to achieve higher clock speeds and even greater performance levels."

"It's impressive to see the Radeon X1800 XT architecture achieve 1 GHz core speed and approach 2 GHz memory speed, which far exceeds the specifications of the memory devices," said Stan Ossias, Sr. Product Manager, Desktop Products, ATI Technologies Inc. "Once faster GDDR-4 memory arrives next year, users can expect to see the hidden potential of ATI's innovative new memory controller design complement our powerful shader engines with massive additional memory clock scalability."

A screen shot can be found at:
http://www.muropaketti.com/r520_ghz.png .

Radeon X1800 XT's extreme clock-scaling capabilities are made possible by a series of key innovations that include use of the state-of-the-art 90-nanometer semiconductor process technology, an efficient new Ultra-threaded Shader Model 3.0 architecture, and a revolutionary new 512-bit ring-bus memory controller.

Original Article

It seems pointless to me...
Why don't they just make a better GPU instead of OCing something as far as it can go with liquid Nitrogen.
Who cares how fast it can run while at -80°.
nobody will ever use that in an everyday setting.
someone care to explain it to me ?

Do you think that computers will eventually HAVE to be water cooled straight from the factory ?

ex: Ordering a Dell will come stock with water cooling ?

This is supposed to be record-breaking, not to put it to commercial use. Of course it isn't neccassary to have it clocked at that speed, but still, it's just amazing that they've done it. It's really just a novelty act. I mean, who really needs jumbo sized, 8-foot pencils, a regular one is more efficient and handy, but that jumbo pencil is far more amusing. Get what I'm saying?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom