Video Card Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
754 because I already have an Athlon 64 3200+ socket 754 chip.

I got it soon after it came out. But now my motherboard's bad, and my video card sucks, so I'm going to upgrade both, as well as get some more ram and a better, quieter power supply. Speaking of which, what are some brands to look for and what specs will I need (for the PSU)?

Don't get socket 754 first of all - get socket 939. Second of all -- if you are building a new pc and/or upgrading your motherboard and video card, you may want to wait for the ATI X1600 series is released. It should be in stores in a month or two, it's already had it's paper release. Once it comes out you can compare it to other video cards in it's class to see which is the best for you. Now I am probably going to get flamed by some of the hardcore nvidia fanboys that patrol these fourms looking for anybody posting anything positive about ATI, but with that aside, I buy based on what really is the better product, not what I want to be the better product in my mind.

BTW,
512MB of video memory is NOT a waste if you want to play F.E.A.R. on maximum settings at 1600x1200 without any lag or hitches. (assuming the card with 512mb is the top of the line card -- 512mb won't help a 6600 for example.)

Like I said, I already have a socket 754 chip.

And I really can't wait any longer -- right now I'm using the family's crappy old computer.

Also, I don't need the latest and greatest. I'm a casual gamer. I'm looking to spend under $200 for the video card.

OK well I bought everything. This is what it's going to be:

MSI K8N NEO3-F
Athlon 64 3200+
MSI 6600 GT
1GB (512x2) PC3200
Cooler Master 430W PS

Everything look sound?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom