What is quieter...high-end multiple fan system or liquid coolant?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is what I have so far...
I read up on the parts and tried to get what I thought was the best options for what I want (fast computer with more than enough cooling systems, in predominantly blue/black/chrome scheme).

http://order.store.yahoo.com/cgi-bi...eba7b5adc80e188d8f6fc2b4412b0dbfbe69fcaf00956

X-500 Aluminum Mid-Tower

[Remove]
Add Power Supply: 480W Silver Thermaltake Butterfly(+$94.99)
Add Serial ATA Power Adapter: Add Serial ATA Power Adapter (+$5.45)
Lighting: Blue Cold Cathode (+$15.99)
Secondary Lighting: NO LIGHTING
Upgrade Side Fan: Blue Quad LED fan (+$7.99) 229.41 229.41
Thermaltake 80mm Blue LED Smart Fan

[Remove]
12.99 12.99
Vantec AeroFlow VP4-C7040 P4 Heatsink

[Remove]
Copper Shim: NO COPPER SHIM
Thermal Compound: NO THERMAL COMPOUND 28.99 28.99
Arctic-Cooling VGA Silencer

[Remove]
21.99 21.99
Multimedia Illuminated Keyboard

[Remove]
Keyboard Color: Black 34.99 34.99
Xoxide Ultima Dancing Light 2.1 Speakers (Black)

[Remove]
99.99 99.99

very nice orb,,go to tcwo.com,,find say case hit add to order/or cart...keep doing that for each component,,you don't have to purchase it there, but you will get an idea on parts cost etc, as far as a 300.00 video card, thats up to you..but you really dont have to spend that much if you don't have too.

Ok thanks Byte, I tried :)

I went to xoxide because they had some cool custom components, but yeah they certainly don't have everything I need.
As far as the videocard, I want a computer that will suit my gaming needs for the next 5-6 years after I buy it, so I want technology that will hold up. You'd know better than me :)

I will go to the place and look up some parts, thanks!

I tried combining the xoxide parts with the tcwo parts and here is what I got, (it was about $50 cheaper than tcwo alone and had ALL the parts I wanted.) It's still more expensive than I'd like, gonna try and get a cheaper case or something.

Item Options Unit
Price Qty. Subtotal
Thermaltake 80mm Blue LED Smart Fan

12.99 25.98
Vantec AeroFlow VP4-C7040 P4 Heatsink

Copper Shim: NO COPPER SHIM
Thermal Compound: NO THERMAL COMPOUND 28.99 28.99
Arctic-Cooling VGA Silencer

21.99 21.99
Multimedia Illuminated Keyboard

Keyboard Color: Black 34.99 34.99
Xoxide Ultima Dancing Light 2.1 Speakers (Black)

99.99 99.99
X-500 Aluminum Mid-Tower

Add Power Supply: NO POWER SUPPLY
Add Serial ATA Power Adapter: Add Serial ATA Power Adapter (+$5.45)
Lighting: Blue Cold Cathode (+$15.99)
Secondary Lighting: NO LIGHTING
Upgrade Side Fan: Blue Quad LED fan (+$7.99) 134.42 134.42

xoxide total: 346.36

---

Lite-On 16X DVD Retail
$ 42.00

$ 42.00

Creative Sound Blaster Audigy ES OEM
$ 48.00

$ 48.00

Mitsumi Black 1.44 FDD
$ 14.00

$ 14.00

RADEON 9800PRO 128MB DDR CRT/DVI/TV
$ 299.00

$ 299.00

Maxtor 120GB U133 7200 8MB
$ 106.00

$ 106.00

ASUS SK8V K8T800 AMD64 SK940 S/GBL/FW/SATA-R
$ 231.00

$ 231.00

1GB PC2700 333MHz
$ 243.00

$ 243.00

Lite-on 52x32x52 CDRW Kit
$ 49.00

$ 49.00

AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Retail
$ 286.00

$ 286.00

Total (excluding shipping and tax):
$ 1318.00

Grand total (excluding shipping, taxes, etc):
$1,664

A vid. card that will stand up to the test of time for 5 years? Maybe the 9800XT, but even with that card...I doubt it.

For a good gaming card (reasonable price - mid level)...9600 xt. That 9800 pro you picked out is a great card, but I still don't think it will stand up to high end gaming... 5 years from now. A few years, yes...but not 5 or 6.

Go to www.newegg.com and nowhere else. The radeon 9800 Pro sells for $224 there, the AMD 64 3000+ sells for $217-224 and the SK8V goes for $210. Need I say more? Dont shop anywhere else.

Thanks guys, I will try there.

But do I really need a 64-bit processor? WILL I need one somewhere soon down the line, or is just a useless bragging right?

As far as the vid card, what about the ATI 9700? My buddy is getting one on his new comp and I haven't seen it in the last few websites. Would you recommend the 9600 over the 9700?

And I still wanna know...will a 6-7 80mm fan tower case be louder than I would be willing to take in a small room? I mean I have a stock case now with maybe 4 fans including the vid card/mobo fans, and it isn't a quiet machine...but I want to flaunt some LED fans on the new comp and keep my system as cool as possible without completely emptying my wallet.

Dont TRY newegg, buy from there. I know it sounds like I work for em or something, but seriously. You cannot beat the price/service of newegg anywhere, and trust me Ive shopped around.

Anyway, to be honest, no you dont need a 64 right now. First off, theres no programs that utilize 64 bit right now. You will eventually want to update to a 64 bit OS but by then a) what will prces be and b) what will chips be doing technologically by then?

Im 45 minutes away from placing my $2100 newegg order and I wouldnt let a 64 bit chip near it.

Consider this: drop down to an Athlon XP system and with the extra cash buy yourself a pump or something to start you out on a WC setup.

You da man Shrapnill.

Now, watercooling opens up a whole new bag of cats for me. It sounds like it'd be very expensive and risky.

Well, let me attempt to give you a rundown on water vs. air.

Air cooling

The ol' staple. Active air cooling has been around since computers existed. Now days theres enough options to make most computer users very content, from ultraviolet activated colors to LEDs to 113 CFM.

The downfall of a fan based cooling system is sound. Many computer fans create well over 35db of noise in order to move the proper amount of air, multiply that by four or five whirring away and its enough to drive some geeks nuts.

However, a well set up case with proper air flow CAN be quiet and efficient. It is the mix of case design and fan layout. A fantastic example of this is Lian Li cases. Well laid out with fans in all the right places (the 6077 which I just ordered is capable of holding 5 fans AND has a ground intake). Mix the right fans in, and youve got yourself a nice cool system.

What I have not yet adressed however, is the heatsink/fan combination. There are so many to choose from, and everyones going to tell you something different:

"you must have a copper base..."
"It's all about airflow over the heatsink"
"stock fans will serve"

Youll catch something from everyone. As far as this goes, its a matter of what you care about. Again, is sound going to bother you? Is size a matter? Does it have to look purty?

There are options that are quiet, cheap and efficient (vantec makes one for AMD for $25 thats awesome) if you want to just play it safe.

In the end its a matter of taste at every turn, but one thing must be stressed: no matter how much air the fans move, no matter how loud they are- if they are not properly placed in a case it wont matter anyway.

Water cooling

Sonds quite scary doesnt it? Truth be told, its quite safe nowdays. With great kits from companies like Swiftech, not even that kid down the street who smells other peoples garbage could mess it up. Okay maybe he could, but I assure you its simple.

The noise generated by water cooling is little. Fans are required for one (or maybe two) thing(s) only: the radiator must stay cool somehow. You want a fan on it to do just that. And if youre smart, youll slap another fan in that case to expell ambient heat.

But the temps, oooh the temps. So safe... so low.

I know what youre thinking... "too good to be true" or "wheres the catch?" right? Smart kid.

The downfalls of water cooling:

Price: A retard-proof kit can cost a pretty penny. A DIY kit can run at a decent price, but its nowhere near the $60-80 youll pay for 5 nice case fans and a quality hsf.

Upkeep/Setup: Putting one together can be a chore. With everything from assembly to bleeding to wetting agents to clouding, it can become tiresome. A keen eye has to be kept on the system to ensure you arent throwing your $200 cooling investment down the drain... heehee.

Man, in the end all I can say is- its a matter of taste. But any kit that cools properly will require planning, so know how each works and what youll need to do each before you move in for the buy. And youve got the right idea surfing forums before you purchase. Ive researched my new system since November.

As I said earlier, I just ordered parts for a custom build system. Personally? I bought the loudest, fastest most obnoxious hsf on the market.... and a controller panel. Sound doesnt bother me, and its nice to know I can control things when I need a little extra "umph" or when I dont whant my case sounding like a damn hair dryer.

Let me also recommend something: drop by this site and browse around. Their forums contain a category on extreme cooling that contains lots of info on WC. Its based out of the UK, but IMO these guys are unparalleled when it comes to knowledge and talent.

And when you come across any product that peaks your interest, google a few reviews on it and read what the pros/users have to say about it.

If I had some info as to what you were looking to spend/buy and a shopping list, I could suggest some things. If you have AIM Id be happy to talk it out with you. Screen name is the same as mine here.

Hope his helps.

Okay, sorry for the long post there, but I was in your shoes 3 months ago, so I understand where youre at.

I backtracked the thread and looked at that shopping list of yours. If I am to understand you dont need a monitor or an oprerating system, let me help you out.

I built up a list on www.newegg.com with the closest specs I could get to that list, with a few things changed here and there. My list came out to $1268.97 before S&H and $1296.97 with S&H (to new mexico... I dont know where youre from.. the moon??).

Cases (Computer Cases, ATX Form)
Lian Li Black Mid-Tower Case, Model "PC-61" - $104.00

CD/DVD Burners (RW Drives)
(ON SALE!)Lite-On Black 52X32X52 CD-RW Drive - $34.00

CD/DVD ROM Drives
LITE-ON BLACK 16X DVD ROM Drive - $36.00

CPU Thermal Paste / Grease
Arctic Silver 5. 3.5-gram( 1 cc. ) tube. - $6.99

Fans, Heatsinks (Case, CPU, Chipset)
Vantec AeroFlow VA4-C7040 For AMD - $24.99

Floppy Drives
Alps DF354H121F Black 3.5inch Floppy - $7.00

Hard Drives
Seagate 120GB 7200RPM IDE Hard Drive - $96.00

Keyboards
Logitech BLACK Optical Desktop PS2 104keys (includes optical mouse) - $32.00

Memory (System Memory)
Corsair XMS 1GB(512MBx2) DDR PC-3200 - $211.00

Motherboards - AMD
ASUS "A7N8X-E Deluxe" - $115.99

Power Supplies
Antec 430W Power Supply, Model "TRUE430" - $66.00

Processors
AMD Athlon XP 3200+ "Barton" - $217.00

Sound Card
Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy ES - $46.00

Speakers
Logitech Z-340 2.1 Speakers Retail - $48.00

Video Cards
SAPPHIRE RADEON 9800PRO Video Card, 128MB DDR 256-bit, DVI/TV-Out, 8X AGP -BULK - $224.00

Subtotal - $1268.97

S&H - $28.00

Total - $1296.97

NOW, if you want to keep the 64 processor and SK8V motherboard, bump the subtotal to $1448.97 and the total to $1516.97.

GO WITH NEWEGG.

www.newegg.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom